How often do you eat soup?

Very often during the winter months.
Split pea soup - have a ham bone in the freezer - need to make soup
Black Bean soup
White Bean soup - just finished the last package
Mixed Bean soup - several packages in the freezer - need to eat more
Lentil soup

The above are cooked with ham hocks, ham or Andouille - so a cross between a soup and a stew - very hearty.

Gumbo - mostly chicken and sausage - in a class by itself - 1 package left in the freezer

Turkey/chicken Celery soup (G"s Fave) - have both a turkey carcass and a roasted chicken carcass in the freezer - need to make soup
Beefy vegetable soup - 1 package in the freezer - just took it out - lunch today
Oyster Chowder (white)

There is still some Cumin Roasted Cauliflower soup in the freezer.

During the summer, when I am over run with cucumbers, I make a cold cucumber soup.

During the peak of the season I always have excess tomatoes. I usually make tomato sauce or stewed whole tomatoes and freeze. Think I will try a tomato soup and maybe a gazpacho.

Love French Onion Soup - don't know why I have never made it. Must do.

@morning glory

They grow in Navarre which is one of the coldest regions of Spain near the foothills of the Pyrenées.

Thank you .. Grand fans of cardoon !

My fave vegetable and it has a very very short growing season. November through early February .. View attachment 13249

@ElizabethB & @The Late Night Gourmet

Cardoon soup transports one to Paradise on a cold day ! It is incredibly amazing if you like cardoon .. It is not very commonly exported fresh & wild from Navarre however, it is jarred and exported ..

It is my fave authentically traditional Basque Spanish soup ..

Thank you and have a lovely day ..

but coincidentally a friend gave me a tin a Baxter's French onion soup about 6 months ago. I've not opened it yet.

Baxters French Onion s.jpg

It was bought in Thailand as it has the stick on Thai label over the ingredients.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, how often do you make soup or eat (drink) soup?

I don't keep stats, but I do eat soup with some frequency. The Campbell Soup saying is "Soup is good food."

What is unusual for me, is the span of quality in the soups I have may eat, from creative home made, to restaurant, to canned and even Ramen noodle type things which have the virtue of being able to be carried anywhere and just add hot water. I like thick soups better than thin. Bouillons don't score high with me and I would only use them as an add-in flavor shot to be reduced down in something else. Chowders are usually the thickest soups I know of, but I often eat Campbells Bean and Bacon soup right out of the can as a quick snack. You can't get much thicker than that. My favorite soups are those novel soups that craft together great ingredients that taste good and have a rich variety of flavor mix. I like soups that show up in a soup bowl carved out of a round bread or may be cheesed over. In other words, those soups that are themselves, a meal and not just a supplement to a meal.

I like soups that show up in a soup bowl carved out of a round bread or may be cheesed over. In other words, those soups that are themselves, a meal and not just a supplement to a meal.
That is a thread in itself! I'm not so keen though. Do I really want to eat the soup bowl? The bread should be for dunking not eating afterwards.

Although, perhaps as you eat the soup and the level gets lower in the soup bowl then you could break off the top parts of the bread to dunk, as you go.

Gosh - you never made it? Its very easy really - just patience required for the onions to caramelise.

Just never crossed my mind to make it! I just rummaged through the cabinets and do not have 2 individual serving size, oven proof bowls/ramekins. A trip to the dollar store will solve that.:laugh:

@ElizabethB You can always just mound up the cheese on the toasted bread and melt it in the oven, then usr a spatula to place it in the soup bowl. I do that sometimes if I don't want to mess with hot bowls.

That is a thread in itself! I'm not so keen though. Do I really want to eat the soup bowl? The bread should be for dunking not eating afterwards.

Although, perhaps as you eat the soup and the level gets lower in the soup bowl then you could break off the top parts of the bread to dunk, as you go.

It's a good way to go, and tearing it down and dunking as you go works fine.

Back
Top Bottom