How to stop a child being such a dang fussy eater!

Pete

Über Member
Local time
7:42 PM
My granddaughter, 9, love her to bits, is such a fussy eater!
We make stuff and bake cakes together and eat the results (however it turns out :laugh:) but introducing anything new into her diet is, to put it mildly, a challenge.
Don't get this wrong, she doesn't live on junk food. She loves pasta, baked spuds, rice and veg, if she's told she likes it!

We made a pizza from scratch, including the tomato sauce. I then had to scrape the sauce off the base to sieve out the tomato pips as she saw them!

I suppose we all went through the 'Fussy' stage, but it aggravates me... I still love her to bits though :)

My middle daughter has been a vegetarian since she was one. She would literally pick the meat out of a casserole.
Food is not a good place to battle.
Now how we do the children and grandkids was 3 bites of a new food. Then they could decide if they liked it.

I'm surprised my granddaughter is not a veggie and I'd have no problem if she was.
I've tried the 'try something new' approach and have usually got nowhere, apart from baked spud with grated cheese topping a while ago.
I just want her to realise that new foods can actually be enjoyable!

I'm surprised my granddaughter is not a veggie and I'd have no problem if she was.
I've tried the 'try something new' approach and have usually got nowhere, apart from baked spud with grated cheese topping a while ago.
I just want her to realise that new foods can actually be enjoyable!
Try the 3 bites. Being grandpa it might work.
It worked with our picky grandchild. Don't use the word new. Use special.

DeDe about to eat Christmas dinner..jpg

One of my grand nephews - the one that likes to cook, is that way.
He eats most everything, but he's still so picky. Which is why I let him cook what he likes to cook.\

Pete, try letting your granddaughter cook. See if she likes to cook the things that she likes to eat. :wink:

The other thing that could work is to get her planting some vegetables or fruit. I used to do that with my kids. They are so pleased to have grown something they can eat that they are happy to eat it.

What sort of things does she refuse to eat?

View attachment 5337

One of my grand nephews - the one that likes to cook, is that way.
He eats most everything, but he's still so picky. Which is why I let him cook what he likes to cook.\

Pete, try letting your granddaughter cook. See if she likes to cook the things that she likes to eat. :wink:
What looks like steak and something BLUE to drink ? Looks ok to me :okay:

What looks like steak and something BLUE to drink ? Looks ok to me :okay:

He was eating Christmas dinner in that pic. The blue stuff is probably Gatorade, Kool-Aid or Crystal Light. He DOES eat junk food in between meals though. :wink:

Last edited:
I was a fussy eater when I was younger. My Mum says she had to disguise things on the plate. But since I grew up I am different and I'm not sure when that happened. Perhaps it was gradual although I think travelling in my 20's was the main thing that affected me. Now I love to try anything new.

The other thing that could work is to get her planting some vegetables or fruit. I used to do that with my kids. They are so pleased to have grown something they can eat that they are happy to eat it.

What sort of things does she refuse to eat?

We grew runner beans a few years ago, and she likes them.
What kind of thing doesn't she like? Salad, tomatoes, mushrooms, most fruit (including avocados),fish, stew, chicken, lamb, beef and peas.
What does she like? Pasta, rice, broccoli, cauliflower, sausages, mashed spuds, baked spuds, cheese, bacon and porage.

I've tried introducing things, with occasional success.

I'll get there!
I remember my mum trying to hide dumplings in my dinner amongst the potatoes. I dug them all out though :laugh:

Shame about the drink - I still remember the crazy days of the seventies and parties where we mixed blue curacao with anything else handy to make a punch. {it tasted Ok too] - Pic brought back a lot of happy [if blurred] memories

You should've seen them when they were here almost 3 years ago. They were pigging out on soda left & right!
Diet or regular, they did not care! A 2-liter bottle was gone in less than 90 minutes!! I had to put a stop to them sucking up so much of it. :mad:

We grew runner beans a few years ago, and she likes them.
What kind of thing doesn't she like? Salad, tomatoes, mushrooms, most fruit (including avocados),fish, stew, chicken, lamb, beef and peas.
What does she like? Pasta, rice, broccoli, cauliflower, sausages, mashed spuds, baked spuds, cheese, bacon and porage.

I've tried introducing things, with occasional success.

I'll get there!
I remember my mum trying to hide dumplings in my dinner amongst the potatoes. I dug them all out though :laugh:

I think you should grow mushrooms. Its a very quick process. You just get a kit and put it somewhere dark. She will love seeing them grow and maybe she will want to eat them. Having said that, my youngest daughter doesn't understand mushrooms (and she is a vegetarian).

Second thought: she doesn't like fruit? Fruit is something that could be planted in the Spring, Strawberry plants perhaps?

Back
Top Bottom