Icelandic Cuisine?

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
11:34 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
A new airline called Wow Air launched with Iceland as the hub. They offer discount fares - at least from North America - through Iceland to other destinations. In fact, we're looking at an absurdly cheap ($400) flight to New Delhi next year. But, for now, I'm making plans to visit Reykjavik in June.

And, as obsessed as I am with the Culinary Adventures of different regions, I have to admit this one has me stumped. I'm expecting a lot of excellent fresh seafood, but I'm at a loss regarding what sort of dishes the locals enjoy. I will certainly find out and report back, but if anyone has any experience with the cuisine, please let me know what to look forward to...and what to avoid!

A new airline called Wow Air launched with Iceland as the hub. They offer discount fares - at least from North America - through Iceland to other destinations. In fact, we're looking at an absurdly cheap ($400) flight to New Delhi next year. But, for now, I'm making plans to visit Reykjavik in June.

And, as obsessed as I am with the Culinary Adventures of different regions, I have to admit this one has me stumped. I'm expecting a lot of excellent fresh seafood, but I'm at a loss regarding what sort of dishes the locals enjoy. I will certainly find out and report back, but if anyone has any experience with the cuisine, please let me know what to look forward to...and what to avoid!

You won't be disappointed in Reykjavik. I've watched several TV programmes about the food there with great interest. We are talking about high end cuisine, make no mistake - and I have a hunch that @Lullabelle and @The Velvet Curtain have been there and eaten that food! I don't think there is anything to avoid there!

Giggle rick stein weekend break and Reykjavik, I watched it here recently on the cooking channel. Great place.
As an aside my good friend who remarried 2 years ago, I was his best man. He bought matching socks for all the guys and they came from Reykjavik. Strange connection eh,lol.

Russ

Will you be trying any of the shark I saw on one of Zimmern's shows? Apparently, it is left to rot/dry and has a strong ammonia smell.

Apparently, it is left to rot/dry and has a strong ammonia smell.
There's a fish called Stockfish in the Lofoten Islands, Norway that is similar, it's air dried/rotted in the winter months (iirc). It's pretty gruesome hung up for show during the summer months for tourists... The heads are usually left or for the gulls on the rocks below.

20180517_212119.jpg

I'm told it's an acquired taste which if the smell is anything to go by would need to be accompanied by large quantities of liquor to get you to even consider eating it. But with little land either not frozen, not covered in snow or not vertical could be all you got to eat there in the past.

Last edited:
Will you be trying any of the shark I saw on one of Zimmern's shows? Apparently, it is left to rot/dry and has a strong ammonia smell.

Craig sort of beat me to it, but I think Zimmern did 1 of his destination shows on Iceland, not just a bizarre eats one.

Yep https://www.travelchannel.com/shows/bizarre-foods-delicious-destinations/episodes/reykjavik. Not sure when you are going but it doesn't air again until 6/12 unless you can get it streaming or on demand.

I knew that Andrew Zimmern must have visited there at some point. I'm always adventurous with my food, but I can say with certainty that my wife will NOT be trying this! :laugh:

I'm told it's an acquired taste which if the smell is anything to go by would need to be accompanied by large quantities of liquor to get you to even consider eating it.
That might be what I'll have to do! :drink:

I knew that Andrew Zimmern must have visited there at some point. I'm always adventurous with my food, but I can say with certainty that my wife will NOT be trying this! :laugh:

That might be what I'll have to do! :drink:

Unfortunately the 'rotten putrid shark' is a really old chestnut and quite frankly not true! We were in Iceland last year and the hotel owner gave us shark, it tasted ok actually, different parts of Iceland treat shark differently, so do not believe that all shark will be nasty because it isn't :headshake:

You won't be disappointed in Reykjavik. I've watched several TV programmes about the food there with great interest. We are talking about high end cuisine, make no mistake - and I have a hunch that @Lullabelle and @The Velvet Curtain have been there and eaten that food! I don't think there is anything to avoid there!

We have been twice and the food is excellent, lamb is amazing due to the mineral rich grass they eat, fish is very fresh. My only issue is that after the 1st time we went the alcohol laws were relaxed so in Reyjakvic people were spilling out of clubs still drunk at 3 in the morning and the whole place has a lot of burger and pizza places,a haven for stag/hen do's.

My only issue is that after the 1st time we went the alcohol laws were relaxed so in Reyjakvic people were spilling out of clubs still drunk at 3 in the morning and the whole place has a lot of burger and pizza places,a haven for stag/hen do's.
That's what happened in Prague as well, though not to the alcohol laws being restricted. It was a real shame.

Not cyanide, but trimethalamine oxide naturally, and heavy metals such as arsenic, mercury, and lead due to a shark's diet and environment.

Processing shark treats the TMAO, but you can't do anything about the metals.

And almost all sharks stink of urea, Mako and Black Tip being exceptions.

Small suggestions for the avoidance of stag party/idiot tourist mayhem:

1) We've found that a quick city break is best done during the week, as most of these megabinges happen at weekends.
2) Avoid any pub that presents itself as "English" or "Irish". These tend to be a haven for the more bone-headed travellers. There are exceptions: for example, in Zagreb, there is a splendid Irish pub which is indeed run by an Irishman, a very jovial fellow from Offaly.

Back
Top Bottom