I'm back

FowlersFreeTime

Local time
2:33 AM
Website
www.fowlersfreetime.com
Hello my fellow foodies!
It has been a few months since I have been on the forum regularly and, to be honest, I don't even know where the time went. My daughter was born in August and sometime around the beginning of month 3 we started having some serious difficulty feeding her. I'll spare you the details, but suffice it to say Reflux (Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)) is a hell of a headache for parent and child. To this day, my little girl still gives trouble to take a full meal.
To make the post relative to our shared passion of the culinary arts, I will share a few observations from a new parent:
  • Frozen foods may not be that healthy, but they sure are convenient when you haven't slept much in days/weeks and you just don't care anymore. I had very little desire to cook for myself and my wife in the early weeks of parenthood.
  • My wife gave up dairy to see if it would remove a potential irritant in her breastmilk for the baby. This meant no more cooking with butter, so there were many times that I substituted with olive oil. It also meant more careful reading of labels for wifey, so much so that often she would give up and just pick the vegan option.
  • Time management seems to be a skill I have lost. So no more "FowlersFreeTime" cooking videos, my YouTube account sits abandoned like unfinished business. I want to revive it, but I have no idea how or when.
And yet, despite the sleepless nights and baptism by all infant bodily fluids, she was worth it. Isla is 7 months old now, and we are still exhausted, but we're learning to cope. She doesn't seem to love eating, but mark my words: one day I will make her my little sous chef.

IMG_20230219_220052_763.jpg

CONGRATS on Isla!!! :love::highfive:😍

Hopefully she will grow out of it soon. Our DD had a pretty bad dairy intolerance and had to be put on soy based formula 40+ years ago, but she grew out of it mostly. I think there was probably a bit of GERD involved as well since we had to keep her fairly upright while feeding and for a good while thereafter. Still has to be a bit careful about how much dairy she consumes at a time, but she's able to eat pretty much what she wants and has been since she was an early tween. Hopefully Isla will do better as she grows, and things will get better .

CONGRATS on Isla!!! :love::highfive:😍

Hopefully she will grow out of it soon. Our DD had a pretty bad dairy intolerance and had to be put on soy based formula 40+ years ago, but she grew out of it mostly. I think there was probably a bit of GERD involved as well since we had to keep her fairly upright while feeding and for a good while thereafter. Still has to be a bit careful about how much dairy she consumes at a time, but she's able to eat pretty much what she wants and has been since she was an early tween. Hopefully Isla will do better as she grows, and things will get better .
Thank you for sharing your experience! we still keep her upright after every meal for at least 20 minutes, even if she has outgrown the worst of it. We're not 100% sure about the dairy intolerance, but my wife's modified diet was something she wanted to do, so I supported it (albeit begrudgingly haha!).

Now the "fun" part begins: making purees from scratch to introduce her to real food. So far she gets more ON herself than IN her mouth, but I gather that's the norm :laugh:

Hello my fellow foodies!
It has been a few months since I have been on the forum regularly and, to be honest, I don't even know where the time went. My daughter was born in August and sometime around the beginning of month 3 we started having some serious difficulty feeding her. I'll spare you the details, but suffice it to say Reflux (Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)) is a hell of a headache for parent and child. To this day, my little girl still gives trouble to take a full meal.
To make the post relative to our shared passion of the culinary arts, I will share a few observations from a new parent:
  • Frozen foods may not be that healthy, but they sure are convenient when you haven't slept much in days/weeks and you just don't care anymore. I had very little desire to cook for myself and my wife in the early weeks of parenthood.
  • My wife gave up dairy to see if it would remove a potential irritant in her breastmilk for the baby. This meant no more cooking with butter, so there were many times that I substituted with olive oil. It also meant more careful reading of labels for wifey, so much so that often she would give up and just pick the vegan option.
  • Time management seems to be a skill I have lost. So no more "FowlersFreeTime" cooking videos, my YouTube account sits abandoned like unfinished business. I want to revive it, but I have no idea how or when.
And yet, despite the sleepless nights and baptism by all infant bodily fluids, she was worth it. Isla is 7 months old now, and we are still exhausted, but we're learning to cope. She doesn't seem to love eating, but mark my words: one day I will make her my little sous chef.

View attachment 97265
Hi, FowlersFree Time. I, also, suffer with acid reflux, & take omeprazole for it. At times, I tend to eat or drink a tad too much, & that is when I takes a few Tums tablets which also helps to squelch & quiet down any excessive acid reflux, kills it & helps me to sleep better at night!! And BTW, your baby is very cute!! Hah!! :whistling:

Last edited:
Hi, FowlersFree Time. I, also, suffer with acid reflux, & take omeprazole for it. At times, I tend to eat or dring a tad too much,& that is when I takes a few Tums tablets which also helps to squelch any excessive acid reflux, kills it & helps he sleep better at night!! And BTW, your baby is very cute!! Hah!! :whistling:
Thank you GG! We were administering something similar (lansoprazole) daily for almost 3 months.

Hello my fellow foodies!

View attachment 97265
Welcome back. Our oldest grandchild (13) is also isla. She brings us a lot of joy. Enjoy the good times. Contribute when you can.

Russ

ALOHA!!! Chris, that little munchkin is so stinkin' adorable!!!
All of our Nieces had GERD/Acid Reflux, as well their children. You learn to adapt.
But so glad to see you back, stop by when time allows and you really don't need to share about food, maybe just about Isla.

I remember with my nieces that the likelihood of them spitting up was directly proportional to the price of my shirt.

CD

Shortly after DD was born, my dad came to Florida to meet her. The 3 of us went to run an errand and she upchucked all over him on our way to my mom's condo. It was amazing that so much came out of that little baby. She was neat though. It was all over his front and lap, but none on the car seat. When I parked, he went flying out of the car, into the building and down the hallway to my mom's door. When she answered the door, he stuck DD out for her to take, saying "here, you take her," and headed for the shower after grabbing some clothes out of his suitcase. He was so fast I hadn't even made it into the door of the building with our purchases before he was in the shower.

BTW, this was about 45 years ago. There were no car seat laws back then and frankly the car seat we did buy her wasn't much more than a funny shaped, padded bucket. I still remember it, blue gingham patterned with little pink flowers plastic over foam with thin plastic straps and buckles to hold her in. He was holding her in his arms because nobody knew any different back then. For those of you old enough, remember sitting in the front seat with no seat belt and mom's or dad's arm flying out in front of you when they braked hard?

Last edited:
BTW, this was about 45 years ago. There were no car seat laws back then and frankly the car seat we did buy her wasn't much more than a funny shaped, padded bucket. I still remember it, blue gingham patterned with little pink flowers plastic over foam with thin plastic straps and buckles to hold her in. He was holding her in his arms because nobody knew any different back then. For those of you old enough, remember sitting in the front seat with no seat belt and mom's or dad's arm flying out in front of you when they braked hard?

My sister and I NEVER had a car safety seat. :eek:

CD

Back
Top Bottom