Intriguing pub names

There is a well known pub near us known by locals as 'the pub with no name'. Its official name is The White Horse in Petersfield. Its a first rate pub. http://pubwithnoname.co.uk

@jennyb

Yes, a "Bar With No Name !! There is one in Madrid by this name close to The Palace Westin Hotel ..

Interesting how restaurateurs and bar owners name their establishments ..

Have a lovely evening ..

Our oldest local pub is The Golden Cross, dating back to 1428. Originally it was called the Sextry, a reference to its other role as a sacristy to a nearby church. There is an underground tunnel from the pub to the church, so that the men of cloth could pop over for a beer without being seen!

There is a bar in my childhood town by the name of "The Recovery Room". It is located across the street from the local hospital.

I'll probably get banned for this:

ofart.gif

There is a pub in Oxford called The Four Candles. It is a relatively new pub and the name originates from the BBC comedy series The Two Ronnies, featuring Ronnie Barker and Ronnie Corbett. UK members will no doubt catch the reference, which is from a sketch in which Corbett (as customer) asks Barker (shopkeeper) for fork handles and gets, you've guessed it, four candles. Ronnie Barker went to school in Oxford, hence this small tribute.

There is a pub in Oxford called The Four Candles. It is a relatively new pub and the name originates from the BBC comedy series The Two Ronnies, featuring Ronnie Barker and Ronnie Corbett. UK members will no doubt catch the reference, which is from a sketch in which Corbett (as customer) asks Barker (shopkeeper) for fork handles and gets, you've guessed it, four candles. Ronnie Barker went to school in Oxford, hence this small tribute.
For me, that is the best comedy sketch ever. My wife even bought me a t-shirt with four candles on it. It always attracts sniggers from people of a certain age!

One of the best pubs in Newcastle is the Crown Posada. Local legend has it that the owner of what was then called simply the Crown was a Spanish sea captain that installed a mistress in the premises and added a suitably Spanish twist to the name of the pub.

Another Oxford pub, rather older than the Four Candles, is the Eagle & Child. The name is reputed to derive from the coat of arms of the Earl of Derby. Do not believe the common myth that locals call the pub the Bird & Baby. Perhaps some of the posher types do, but most Oxonians know it as the Bird & Brat.

Back
Top Bottom