Kettle cooking and food on the move

I'm glad you are using your own kettle!
I tried cooking noodles in a kettle once and although it worked, it was a pain to get the last ones out.
And wiener sausages once.
Both of those wasn't my kettle.
I spend a long time cleaning and boiling several loads of water to get the smell out for the next guest

Oh, and as for eating on a trip...
In Asia it is street food all the way. Part of the experience and I could live on it for months
In Europe, past the bakery for fresh bread. Supermarkt or butchery for ham or salami. That means only dinner to deal with, which is sometimes going out, sometimes cooked on a little gas burner (camping gaz) or bbq

Oh, and as for eating on a trip...
In Asia it is street food all the way. Part of the experience and I could live on it for months
In Europe, past the bakery for fresh bread. Supermarkt or butchery for ham or salami. That means only dinner to deal with, which is sometimes going out, sometimes cooked on a little gas burner (camping gaz) or bbq

That's more how I like it 👍

When cooking noodles in a kettle the key is to put the noodles in the water or stock in a roasting bag (or silimiar) in the kettle and then fill it. That way the kettle water is separate from what you're going to eat and the kettle stays clean.

I always have a kettle with me if doing hotels in the EU because to a Brit not having tea available on waking is unacceptable, to the rest of the world it's the norm!
So this kettles is a nice upgrade and bonus I can fit most of my travel kitchen in it so somehow it's space saving!

The third week of three meals a day out would get you there 😆
I’ve made it six weeks!

When I was in the military, I had to occasionally go to Keesler AFB in Biloxi, Mississippi for up to six weeks at a time:

Breakfast in the base mess hall (almost always eggs of some form)
Fast food lunch
Sit-down restaurant for supper

As to using the hotel’s kettle - there are rumors that some hardcore travelers use the hotel kettle to boil wash their socks and undies…keep using your own, please! :laugh:

I’ve made it six weeks!

When I was in the military, I had to occasionally go to Keesler AFB in Biloxi, Mississippi for up to six weeks at a time:

Breakfast in the base mess hall (almost always eggs of some form)
Fast food lunch
Sit-down restaurant for supper

As to using the hotel’s kettle - there are rumors that some hardcore travelers use the hotel kettle to boil wash their socks and undies…keep using your own, please! :laugh:
Yep you're hardcore!

And HEY! I'm not gonna be boiling my smalls in a kettle what sorta animal do you think I am? 😂

I have seen pics posted of pants being boiled in the hotel kettle 🤮

Onto the first bit of raw food.
I googled boil in the bag recipes, if there are any it’s buried in google somewhere deep under the thousands of entries for ‘seafood boil’
Seafood boil Kittle 😆 is something I would have dismissed out of hand as the sight of seafood, potatoes, corn on the cob and sausages jumbled together did not appeal.
BUT I remember CD posting a pic of this and thought well he’s unlikely to eat rubbish stuff so maybe it is worth a go!

Mine obviously didn’t look like a proper seafood boil because I wanted minimal ingredients so assembly is fast n easy, plus the ingredients will be available in any old supermarket. The pieces need to be small to ensure even cooking in a kettle.

To start things off I’ve avoided anything in it’s shell as cooking seafood in a kettle is new to me, I wanted to be certain it was cooked through, so I went with raw king prawns because it’s easy to tell when they’re cooked and will be easy to mix in a bag.

D99C876C-3AFF-4BDB-861C-1EE77CF8C366.jpeg

Every Spanish supermarket seems to have jars of cooked potatoes and corn on the cob and that’s perfect - speedy, no precooking potatoes or sweetcorn.

I looked at this sad chopping boards worth of ingredients and nearly stopped 😆

I used only half of everything except the prawns and put a couple of VERY large dollops of butter in with Cajun spices before mixing it in the bag n squeezing the air out.

83C9A730-F524-4C83-889A-626781EECDF1.jpeg

I suddenly felt it looked a lot more promising, amazing what copious amounts of flavoured butter can do 😆

8F7D4109-165F-4C51-ADAF-5FD2F30E6880.jpeg

First go 80 degrees for 20 mins to try and avoid overcooking the prawns, it wasn’t long enough, the prawns weren’t quite cooked. Back on at 90 for another 15mins and
it’s cooked 👏
4CCB60C2-7596-4780-A3E5-BA14E6D64839.jpeg

Now absolutely piping hot, I checked the prawns and they are nicely done.

2B7366F0-5393-45F3-AAD7-EE168C640A98.jpeg

This is worth eating whether on the move or not, so tasty.
I’d have a squeeze of lemon with it next time.

On a do over I would just have more prawns and forget about the frankfurter because quality varies wildly and moving about you wouldn’t know if they were any good. I think a bad frank would spoil it.
Overall it was well worth the small effort it took.

Needed a nice glass of cold crisp white to go with it though but heyho, who would have thought that unpromising pile of ingredients would have been worthy of a nice cold crisp glass of white wine!

I am a complete convert. Seafood Boil is going on my America list.

Last edited:
Just stuck a fork tine into the centre and bit the corn off like you normally do.
I was dubious but it worked out well 👍
I imagined you trying to hold them in your hands like you’d normally do with a whole ear, and just couldn’t see it. :laugh:

Your inventiveness in kettle cooking is to be commended, BTW. 🥇

Back
Top Bottom