Kettle cooking and food on the move

Onto the first bit of raw food.
I googled boil in the bag recipes, if there are any it’s buried in google somewhere deep under the thousands of entries for ‘seafood boil’
Seafood boil Kittle 😆 is something I would have dismissed out of hand as the sight of seafood, potatoes, corn on the cob and sausages jumbled together did not appeal.
BUT I remember CD posting a pic of this and thought well he’s unlikely to eat rubbish stuff so maybe it is worth a go!

Mine obviously didn’t look like a proper seafood boil because I wanted minimal ingredients so assembly is fast n easy, plus the ingredients will be available in any old supermarket. The pieces need to be small to ensure even cooking in a kettle.

To start things off I’ve avoided anything in it’s shell as cooking seafood in a kettle is new to me, I wanted to be certain it was cooked through, so I went with raw king prawns because it’s easy to tell when they’re cooked and will be easy to mix in a bag.

View attachment 102438
Every Spanish supermarket seems to have jars of cooked potatoes and corn on the cob and that’s perfect - speedy, no precooking potatoes or sweetcorn.

I looked at this sad chopping boards worth of ingredients and nearly stopped 😆

I used only half of everything except the prawns and put a couple of VERY large dollops of butter in with Cajun spices before mixing it in the bag n squeezing the air out.

View attachment 102439
I suddenly felt it looked a lot more promising, amazing what copious amounts of flavoured butter can do 😆

View attachment 102440
First go 80 degrees for 20 mins to try and avoid overcooking the prawns, it wasn’t long enough, the prawns weren’t quite cooked. Back on at 90 for another 15mins and
it’s cooked 👏
View attachment 102442
Now absolutely piping hot, I checked the prawns and they are nicely done.

View attachment 102446
This is worth eating whether on the move or not, so tasty.
I’d have a squeeze of lemon with it next time.

On a do over I would just have more prawns and forget about the frankfurter because quality varies wildly and moving about you wouldn’t know if they were any good. I think a bad frank would spoil it.
Overall it was well worth the small effort it took.

Needed a nice glass of cold crisp white to go with it though but heyho, who would have thought that unpromising pile of ingredients would have been worthy of a nice cold crisp glass of white wine!

I am a complete convert. Seafood Boil is going on my America list.

In a conventional cajun seafood boil, you would add ingredients in steps, for their appropriate cooking time. Starting with boiling water, and adding your seasoning .Potatoes take the longest to cook, then corn, sausage is pre-cooked/smoked, and the seafood only needs a few minutes in the rapidly boiling "broth." That would be a PITA in a bag, but you could cook everything but the seafood first, and add the seafood to the bag near the end.

I would think that the sous vide method would make the spices and seasonings really potent, but maybe not?

I am pretty sure that doing a conventional seafood boil in a kettle would render the kettle unusable for tea in the future, so you kinda' have to use a bag.

BTW, a few lemons sliced in half are added to a cajun seafood boil along with the packet of seasonings.

CD

I imagined you trying to hold them in your hands like you’d normally do with a whole ear, and just couldn’t see it. :laugh:

Your inventiveness is to be commended, BTW. 🥇

Why thankyou for the kind words 😊

I did that with the first one and can confirm it doesn’t work 😆 the fork tine however was brill.

If I can get to a point where I have a mental recipe book of fast assembled Kittles then I’ll be able to carry just a kettle and rustle something up fast from whatever the shop has to offer.
As biker this would be very handy, as a coeliac this would be utterly liberating but it has to taste good or I’m not interested 🤣

In a conventional cajun seafood boil, you would add ingredients in steps, for their appropriate cooking time. Starting with boiling water, and adding your seasoning .Potatoes take the longest to cook, then corn, sausage is pre-cooked/smoked, and the seafood only needs a few minutes in the rapidly boiling "broth." That would be a PITA in a bag, but you could cook everything but the seafood first, and add the seafood to the bag near the end.

I would think that the sous vide method would make the spices and seasonings really potent, but maybe not?

I am pretty sure that doing a conventional seafood boil in a kettle would render the kettle unusable for tea in the future, so you kinda' have to use a bag.

BTW, a few lemons sliced in half are added to a cajun seafood boil along with the packet of seasonings.

CD

Yes after deciding to give it a go I read a lot of Seafood boil stuff and then adapted it to suit an all in one sous vide method. I just didn‘t expect it to work as well as it has. I thought something would be over or under cooked but nope.

Although it would be possible I wouldn’t do this dish in a kettle if I had to add things in stages.
After hours of riding, often late in the day, sometimes all day in the hot sun you‘re pooped and want tasty, fast and easy food.

While reading all the Seafood boil recipes it was clear it’s quite a joyous loose combo of ‘what’s looking good?’ which I liked a lot.

I think I got lucky with the estimated ratio of seasoning and butter, so it wasn’t too strong, I’d do the same again.

The thing that has annoyed me is while pouring over the Cajun spice mix part I discover that one that has been used in America since forever called ‘Old Bay’ has suddenly appeared in UK supermarkets. So it’s no brainer because even if it’s not good it’s historic and I’d like to try it.
Well it’s not the same recipe, it‘s absolutely chockablock with sugar. Most disappointing so I’m yet to try this imitation.
Not sure why they felt the need to change it by adding a lot of sugar, it’s something that annoys most cooks, you pay for spices you want spices.

Last edited:
Yes after deciding to give it a go I read a lot of Seafood boil stuff and then adapted it to suit an all in one sous vide method. I just didn‘t expect it to work as well as it has. I thought something would be over or under cooked but nope.

Although it would be possible I wouldn’t do this dish in a kettle if I had to add things in stages.
After hours of riding, often late in the day, sometimes all day in the hot sun you‘re pooped and want tasty, fast and easy food.

While reading all the Seafood boil recipes it was clear it’s quite a joyous loose combo of ‘what’s looking good?’ which I liked a lot.

I think I got lucky with the estimated ratio of seasoning and butter, so it wasn’t too strong, I’d do the same again.

The thing that has annoyed me is while pouring over the Cajun spice mix part I discover that one that has been used in America since forever called ‘Old Bay’ has suddenly appeared in UK supermarkets. So it’s no brainier because even if it’s not good it’s historic and I’d like to try it.
Well it’s not the same recipe, it‘s absolutely chockablock with sugar. Most disappointing so I’m yet to try this imitation.
Not sure why they felt the need to change it by adding a lot of sugar, it’s something that annoys most cooks, you pay for spices you want spices.

Old Bay is not cajun, but it is well known all over the US. I think the "bay" in Old Bay refers to the Chesapeake bay in Maryland. I have some Old Bay in my pantry, but prefer Louisiana brand seafood boil seasoning, which I doubt you can get there.

To sous vide, you would definitely use a lot less seasoning than you would in a conventional seafood boil, usually done in a huge pot.

CD

That's more how I like it 👍

When cooking noodles in a kettle the key is to put the noodles in the water or stock in a roasting bag (or silimiar) in the kettle and then fill it. That way the kettle water is separate from what you're going to eat and the kettle stays clean.

I always have a kettle with me if doing hotels in the EU because to a Brit not having tea available on waking is unacceptable, to the rest of the world it's the norm!
So this kettles is a nice upgrade and bonus I can fit most of my travel kitchen in it so somehow it's space saving!
The first thing I do every morning is have a cup of tea.

one that has been used in America since forever called ‘Old Bay’ has suddenly appeared in UK supermarkets.

Yeah its quite good. I bought some on line ages ago (due to being on this forum). Its good with seafood. Its not really very sugary tasting.

You also have my commendations on your adventurous kittles.

How about a pudding? :)

Yeah its quite good. I bought some on line ages ago (due to being on this forum). Its good with seafood. Its not really very sugary tasting.

You also have my commendations on your adventurous kittles.

How about a pudding? :)
Not really a pudding person but I have been thinking about it as Mr SSOAP likes a bit of pud. Maybe a simple cheesecake.
Going to get a couple more mains done before I move onto puds 👍

Last edited:
I'm not a pud person either. I just thought it would be fun. But... a cheesecake seems really off the scale ambitious for a kettle cook.
Reckon a cheats one will work so long as the hotel room has a fridge.

All the sous vide pud recipes I’ve read are very mouse/crème brûlée type jobs and as I won’t be carrying a blow torch I figure they’re out 😂

Two more. One I wouldn't take a second mouthful of and one that worked out pretty well.

The first really horrible one I did think would be horrible. I haven't eaten tinned soup for decades (apart from Hienz tomato occasionally as that to me is a soup for the sick 😂). This tinned lentil and bacon soup is quite disgusting so this meatballs and mash is a NO. Enough said.

Important to remember I'm going for minimal readily available, easy to assemble ingredients, not fine dining with multiple easily expiring ingredients.

1690043561129.jpeg

1690044013146.png

Just blurgh!

And this which was pretty decent, not exceptional but good enough, really it could have done with bolstering with a stock cube, spring onions, chillies or something.
This was my first foray into cooking raw meat in a kettle so I halved and slightly flattened the meatballs to ensure the heat could get to the centre, that was a good move.
1690044450680.jpeg

1690044257821.jpeg

1690044520166.png

The biggest surprise was the mash. I don't eat instant mash as I remember it from childhood having an odd taste. This is pleasant, not the same as real mash but fluffy with no odd taste. If I'm honest I think a layer of strong cheese grated on top would have been good.

Two more. One I wouldn't take a second mouthful of and one that worked out pretty well.

The first really horrible one I did think would be horrible. I haven't eaten tinned soup for decades (apart from Hienz tomato occasionally as that to me is a soup for the sick 😂). This tinned lentil and bacon soup is quite disgusting so this meatballs and mash is a NO. Enough said.

Important to remember I'm going for minimal readily available, easy to assemble ingredients, not fine dining with multiple easily expiring ingredients.

View attachment 102767
View attachment 102768
Just blurgh!

And this which was pretty decent, not exceptional but good enough, really it could have done with bolstering with a stock cube, spring onions, chillies or something.
This was my first foray into cooking raw meat in a kettle so I halved and slightly flattened the meatballs to ensure the heat could get to the centre, that was a good move.
View attachment 102770
View attachment 102769
View attachment 102772
The biggest surprise was the mash. I don't eat instant mash as I remember it from childhood having an odd taste. This is pleasant, not the same as real mash but fluffy with no odd taste. If I'm honest I think a layer of strong cheese grated on top would have been good.

I have used that Idahoan brand of instant mashed potatoes many times, especially back in my lightweight camping days. They have about ten-ish flavors, and most are good. The texture is okay, too. I think they would be great for taking on bike tours. The pouches would pack into voids in your panniers, and they weigh next to nothing (they were great in a backpack).

CD

Back
Top Bottom