Knife Skills. How much do you know?

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
10:47 PM
Parts of the Knife..png

How many of you are well trained with your knife skills? How much do you know? Are you familiar with all parts of the knife that you like to use?

Knowing about the knives that you often like to use is almost like a surgeon knowing about the instruments that he uses to perform an operation. :wink:

I know enough to tell you that processed cheese does not need sliced with a butcher knife while watching Tv. If you do try this at home, it helps to have a little brother handy to clean up the blood. According to my mother, it is not recommended that one go to the coke machine down the street with a bloody towel wrapped around one's hand. I thought that was a good idea at the time. Said coke machine was across from the landlord's office. It was either call mom or the landlord was going to take me to the ER. I didn't think my finger was that bad. The doctor that mom took me to thought it needed 7 stitches. (We were halfway to the doctor when mom realized she might want to look at said finger to make sure we needed a doctor. All she had seen was said bloody towel.) Note: A bath towel is not real effective at stopping the blood flow of a finger.

View attachment 7508

How many of you are well trained with your knife skills? How much do you know? Are you familiar with all parts of the knife that you like to use?

Knowing about the knives that you often like to use is almost like a surgeon knowing about the instruments that he uses to perform an operation. :wink:
Left-handed knife in the picture.

I practice and practice. But I can't chop an onion as fast as professional chefs can. Having said that I get better all the time and I love my knives to be super sharp. I hadn't ever see the diagram of the names for the parts of the knife though.

Safety Gloves..jpg
I'm left-handed. Was never aware of the knife being left-handed.

Anyway, I've had knife skills ever since the '60s, and yeah, I've also cut my hands & fingers back then! I've learned that you have to respect the knife and don't use it carelessly or recklessly!

To protect your hands completely, you can get some cut-free gloves where the knife's blade won't penetrate the safety material.

I practice and practice. But I can't chop an onion as fast as professional chefs can. Having said that I get better all the time and I love my knives to be super sharp. I hadn't ever see the diagram of the names for the parts of the knife though.

I've learned that in culinary arts school. Though it never dawned on me that this was true, knowing it can teach you how best to know your knife & become better acquainted with it.. :wink:

Chinese Cleaver.jpg

I have many French (chef's) knives, but my favorite one out of ALL of them is my Chinese Cleaver! I like using it more than any of the others!! I like the broard blade and the fact that the handle sits high at the upper part of the blade. :wink:

View attachment 7515 I'm left-handed. Was never aware of the knife being left-handed.

Anyway, I've had knife skills ever since the '60s, and yeah, I've also cut my hands & fingers back then! I've learned that you have to respect the knife and don't use it carelessly or recklessly!

To protect your hands completely, you can get some cut-free gloves where the knife's blade won't penetrate the safety material.
I don't think there is a left handed knife. Or I have never seen one.
I do have a safety glove.

View attachment 7515 I'm left-handed. Was never aware of the knife being left-handed.

There's a few tool manufacturer's that make left-handed screwdrivers. A standard(right-handed) one isn't held the same way in the left hand. The same with expensive knives.

Just in case anyone thinks it's(left-handed knives) a windup
"Most “normal” knives for right-handers are serrated on the LEFT of the blade – the idea being that the effect of the serrations counter-acts the natural inward (clockwise as you see it) twisting action of the right hand, leading to a straight cut. If a left-hander uses one of these knives, the serrations actually EMPHASIZE the natural anti-clockwise twisting motion of the left hand which leads to the classic “overhanging” loaf or whatever is being cut. All our knives are serrated on the RIGHT side of the blade to give the correct balanced action for left-handers and generally people are very pleased that they can suddenly cut straight!"

http://www.anythinglefthanded.co.uk/product/how-lh/left-handed-knives.html
&
http://www.anythinglefthanded.co.uk/acatalog/chef_knives.html

I learned very quickly to respect very sharp knives when I bought a set of Henckels Twin Four star knives. The very first time I used them, I was trying that speed chopping thing with my bird's veggies.
I looked away for a second and took the tip of my left thumb off clean. It took a long time to grow back to normal looking, however, I still have very little tactile sensation in that tip.

Back
Top Bottom