Knives

Ruin a good knife. Primarily very small nicks and chips. Also bad for a wooden handle. Even my cheap knives are washed by hand. Knives in the dishwasher are also a hazard. A minor slip while taking a knife out can result in a serious cut.

A true razor edge is too delicate for the kitchen
True - a razor is usually hollow ground however I have occasionally been known to use a razor strop just to get that last 'edge' and I think the old steels [many may disagree here and fair enough] do hold a very fine edge better than most modern blades. But when we discussed it today we both have to admit it is quite rarely used unlike the serrated modern ones we both use constantly. I suspect it is like the very expensive [and often quite beautiful in a functional sort of way] tools of the professional mechanic - very nice if you need them every working day but not so vital to the everyday cook.

I have a Henckels (German) chef's knife that I can use for just about anything, but I usually don't. Why dull such a beautiful knife chopping parsley when a lesser knife will do the job? So, I have an older chef's knife that I usually use for the day-to-day chopping and such. I also have a nigiri knife that I use for slicing vegetables finely: I always use that one to slice tomatoes in half for making oven dried tomatoes.

I'll have to photograph all the knives I regularly use and post them here. If I show you all the knives I have, someone will probably be calling the police to report a potential psychopath. :wacky:

My babies.

20180205_185412.jpg

The Chef knife is a 210 mm Gyuto - Aogami Super Steel.
I have a nice patina on the carbon edge.
The second is a 6" boning/filet knife. I do not have the specs. It was a gift. I need to slice onions or lemons with it to get the patina.

Yes - I am a knife snob.

I just realized that the edges look serrated in the photo. Bad photography - shadows from the towel. Both have sleek, super sharp edges.

An absolute joy to work with.

Last edited:
E30FDE30-C579-4562-87FF-13D01B181237.jpeg

Here are the knives that I use most frequently. From left:
  • Paring knife
  • Small Asian knife - The first good knife I ever bought.
  • Scalloped knife - good for thinly slicing meat
  • Chefs knife (semi-retired) - This has a chip in it, but it’s still very useful for general cutting and chopping.
  • Nigiri knife - The ultra thin blade is phenomenal for thinly slicing vegetables.
  • Asian Chefs knife - Even though I can use other knives when I’m preparing Asian dishes, I feel almost obligated to use this one. It’s also very sharp.
  • Butchers knife - Nothings better for cutting through thick pieces of beef
  • German chefs knife - this is the superstar of the knife collection. Phenomenally sharp, but I only use it when I really need to. Cut onions with this and never shed a tear.

I basically use three knives.

One for cutting bread and one for everything else except eating and that one I tend to use with a fork.

three knives.jpg

However, I have another which has only been out of it's packing twice. I use that for skinning fish.

vivo knife-s.jpg

I basically use three knives.

One for cutting bread and one for everything else except eating and that one I tend to use with a fork.

View attachment 13536

However, I have another which has only been out of it's packing twice. I use that for skinning fish.

View attachment 13537

I mostly use an 8" chefs knife, a 4" pairing knife, a 12" serrated knife and a 7" fillet knife. When I used to spearfish a bit, I exclusively used Forschners to fillet and skin.

Back
Top Bottom