Location of Kitchen

Local time
5:17 PM
Is your kitchen located in a cool place of the house or in an area where there is not much breeze coming in? I like where my kitchen is located since it is in a part of the house which is very breezy. Since the kitchen tends to emanate a lot of heat when there is cooking going on, this is very advantageous for me. I always enjoy the breezes coming through the shutters in the kitchen whenever I am preparing anything to cook, or actually cooking. Whenever my family comes over, they comment on how breezy that part of the house is.

So, do you like where your kitchen is located?

well, in my kitchen there's a west exposed window, and a torrent pass near to the house in that direction, so i'ts quite cool
but I live in a 70 mq apartment with lot of windows, so if I open, I have fresh air in every room in few minutes :D

I like this thread. At least I can express my problem with out kitchen. It is so hot when we cook maybe because the location is in the corner of the backyard and there is practically no ventilation in the exterior (there is a window though). The advice of the carpenter is to install an exhaust fan although an engineer countered that the exhaust fan is not a guarantee to eliminate the heat. So that leaves us in a quandary on what to do. For now, we just endure the excessive heat when cooking.

My kitchen overlooks the garden and has a cool breeze all the time. I like to look out of the window to watch my plants as I conjure up what will land in my kitchen next. Helps me plan my next meal:wink:.

Right now I am living in a small space with little room for my cooking. We are only allowed to use induction cooking for safety reasons because the kitchen is right in the middle of the room. There is not much freedom or options when it comes to choosing the food that I want to cook. I am not pleased at all with this kind of set up.

As with others in the UK, I don't normally have to worry about life being too warm. I live in a typical rural 'cottage'. When it is cold there is no way of getting it warmer* When it is warm the best way of staying cool is to keep the doors and windows closed. If you get too warm when cooking, open the front door. If that is not enough, simply open the window at the other end of the kitchen and wait for the gale force wind to slam everything shut. Now wedge the indoor brush between the kitchen sink and the open door and you should be able to prevent the door from slamming. Of course now you can't actually access the rest of the house because if the kitchen door is propped open, it blocks the entrance to the rest of the house :roflmao:

*There is a small useless radiator in the kitchen, but to be honest the best way of heating the kitchen is simply to cook something. Then it warms up very quickly because the room is very small.

As to which way it faces, well we got no choice. There are 3 rooms downstairs, all side by side in a row. The smallest (the old tack room) was made into the kitchen. The other two (old stables for horses) were made in to a dining room and a sitting room.

I've just paid a visit to my kitchen - and the rest of my home - and discovered that, for the first time ever, it is very warm in there. In fact, it's like a steel foundry at present because there are industrial power-driers blasting away. It is, however, not normally like this. The usual state of affairs in the kitchen dictates that if we want to be somewhere warmer, we go outside.

Duck59, you left me laughing at your recent discovery. My kitchen is not ideally located now I am thinking about this. I don't remember thinking about this. this much truth be told. That kitchen where I spend way too much time should be in a different area. Were it in a different position (not good with north and south etc) my experience there would be much breezier. I too just made a new discovery of sorts. My kitchen is not the best place and I have loved it for 25plus years!!!

We're in a basement suite so my kitchen doesn't have a window I can open or much ventilation.
I have a couple electric fans that I usually keep going in the kitchen all the time, otherwise it gets way too hot prepping stuff next to a hot oven.
On the other hand, my parents have a big airy kitchen but one of the windows lets in a draft that always puts out the gas burners, which I think is either hilarious or annoying depending on whether I'm trying to cook.

My temporary home has a kitchen that is an extension of the living room. We are, effectively, living in what amounts to a giant tin can, which means that if you go out on a sunny day, the place is like a hothouse when you return.

I guess our kitchen is in a relatively cool place, though there really isn't another place it could be. It's not exacta cool place to be in the summer though because there is no air conditioner on the lower level, so nobody really wants to cook much anyway in the summer.

My kitchen faces north, but I am not sure that it makes a difference at all when it comes to heat/cold, and sunshine. Our kitchen is in the back of the house and I have a window and sliding glass door in there. The house gets cold during the winter and very warm during the summer months. The back of the house does not see much sun, so it mostly just soaks in the heat that the front part of the house gets. When you look out my kitchen window you see 3 large rhododendron bushes and then there is a hill, so it all looks like a big green mess.

I've been to a few private houses where the kitchen is in the basement with a dumb waiter lift to the dining room ,kitchen always cooler !and the grand entry to the dining room!

Back
Top Bottom