Low Calorie Plant Based Sweeteners

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
1:34 AM
Low/zero calorie plant based sweeteners have been gaining ground in the last few decades and there are now several types readily available. Do you use plant based low calorie sweeteners? I do occasionally - but I personally use so little sugar its not really worth me buying them.

There is a wealth of confusing information about the dangers and/or health benefits of plant based sugar substitutes - but the bottom line is that none of them have ever been subjected to long-term scientific study. Although some of the plant based substitutes have been known and used for centuries by indigenous people, the products we buy are unlikely to resemble the original source. Many of them undergo industrialised processing which can remove essential nutrients.

After some research, I would recommend the following website for detailed and balanced information about the pros and cons of sugar alternatives: https://authoritynutrition.com

The most popular plant based sweeteners are:

Stevia (made from the leaves of the Stevia plant) is also marketed under the trade names of Truvia, PureVia and SweetLeaf. Despite the different names, the sweetener is essentially the same product.

Sugar Alcohols. These include Malitol, Sorbitol and Xylitol and Erythritol. Several sugar alcohols are found naturally in fruits and vegetables. However, most are produced industrially, where they are processed from other sugars, such as the glucose in corn starch.

Agave Syrup. Made from the sap of the Agave plant. Agave is also used to make Tequila. Once again it is industrially processed. Agave syrup is high in fructose.

Yacon Syrup. Made from the root of the Yacon plant. The syrup is high in fructooligosaccharides, which feed the good bacteria in the intestine.

Monkfruit “luo han guo”. Made from Monkfruit Juice, which is then dried and turned into a concentrated powder. Also marketed Norbu (Aus) and Purefruit (USA). Difficult to obtain in the UK.

Natvia. This is a blend of Erythritol and Stevia.

There are a number of other plant based sweeteners but beware - these are no lower in calories than sugar although some may contain beneficial vitamins and minerals. Here are some of the most popular:

Rapadura
is the pure juice extracted from the sugar cane. Also marketed as Sucanat and Panela.

Coconut Sugar is made from the nectar of the coconut blossom. Its also marketed as
Coconut blossom sugar and coconut syrup (made by adding water and boiling).

Rice malt syrup made by fermenting cooked rice to break down the starches and turn them into sugars
Its GI index is higher than table sugar and higher than almost any other sweetener on the market. It has also been associated with arsenic contamination.

I don't use them but it my friend has been talking about replacing sugar with coconut sugar. He thinks it will be much healthier. I'm not sure but I will follow the link and see what is said. Thanks!

I would just use sugar but less of it - it's plus and neg points are pretty well documented and the idea of being an unpaid guinea pig for the manufacturers is not something I like the idea of.

Many of those mentioned have been used in food already, now their being used on their own.

A bigger danger than sugar as the brain doesn't get the "fix" it was expecting, so "demands more" as time goes on. Storing excess food that it comes with as fat.

This thread is in the wrong place. It's nothing to do with special diets.

I use Truvia on cereals but haven't tried the other ones mentioned.

This thread is in the wrong place. It's nothing to do with special diets.
I didn't really know where to put it! I just thought that it was to do with sweeteners free from sugar and as this category is to do with 'free from' it seemed OK. What do you suggest?

Last edited:
I didn't really know where to put it! I just thought that it was to do with sweeteners free from sugar and as this category is to do with 'free from' it seemed OK. What do you suggest?
Where else would you put it? It is about a "diet" food.

Health and Nutrition, not the sub forums.

I was wondering if its possible to do baking with these sugar substitutes. Has anyone tried?

Seriously ? "We manufacture XYZ and we're really going to tell you if it's toxic - anyhow here are some recipes to experiment [on yourself] with".
TBH a lot of these plant based sweeteners are probably harmless - most have been used by indigenous peoples for hundreds of years. The main issue is whether the manufacturing process in some way interferes with the source product. The reason that they haven't been tested rigorously is because they are so new and also because it is notoriously difficult to test food on people! Control groups are impossible to police unless you keep people jailed up and monitor everything they consume. And tests have to be done over many many years to be of validity - not just for a few months.

Seriously ? "We manufacture XYZ and we're really going to tell you if it's toxic - anyhow here are some recipes to experiment [on yourself] with".
Well now at least here in the US, edible products have to be proven "safe" before they can be sold.
But hey, if one believes all the hype about how much better these sweeteners are than sugar, why not get recipes from the source. It isn't my life they are risking.
And you really don't want my opinion on diet/low calorie foods.

Back
Top Bottom