Making jelly and not following the recipe exactly

summerdays

Guru
Local time
4:13 PM
I'm drowning in redcurrants and decided to make some jelly. I found a recipe that called for 600g of redcurrants and 8 peaches with 2kg of sugar

Do I really need that much sugar? And I only have 4 nectarines.

I'm drowning in redcurrants and decided to make some jelly. I found a recipe that called for 600g of redcurrants and 8 peaches with 2kg of sugar

Do I really need that much sugar? And I only have 4 nectarines.

The usual proportion is equal weight redcurrant and sugar so 2Kg sounds ridiculously high! I'd use 600g of sugar. You can always taste it and add more if you think its too sharp. Why do you think you need nectarines? A good redcurrant jelly is just redcurrants and sugar.

It was just a recipe I found and I thought that I could use them up at the same time. I added about 750g and when I tasted it, it was far too sweet so I started adding more redcurrants, no idea how many.

I'm not very good at following recipes faithfully. It's years since I made any jams or jellies but I needed to use up some of my glut!

Other suggestions for my redcurrants?

Redcurrant Jam Drops
Ingredients

1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped out
300g plain flour
200g butter
100g caster sugar
100g ground hazelnuts
2 egg yolks
1 pinch salt

For Decoration
icing sugar for dusting
redcurrant jelly for filling

Makes: 65

Method
  • Mix together vanilla seeds, butter, sugar, eggs yolks and salt. Work flour and hazelnuts into the mix and knead into a dough. Wrap and chill for 2 hours.
  • Preheat oven to 200 C / Gas 6. Grease or line a baking tray with baking parchment.
  • Shape the dough into a long roll and cut into even slices. Roll each slice into a ball and press a small dent into each ball using the end of a spoon.
  • Transfer to the prepared baking tray and bake for 12-15 minutes on the middle shelf.
  • Let biscuits cool on the tray for a few minutes, before transferring them to a wire rack to cool fully.
  • Meanwhile, heat jelly in a pan over low heat. Stir until smooth. Dust cold biscuits with icing sugar and fill with warm jam.

Prep:20min › Cook:12min › Extra time:2hr chilling › Ready in:2hr32min

http://allrecipes.co.uk/

I'll post as a seperate recipe as well.

You could try making pickled redcurrants. Great with cheese in a Ploughman's lunch. This requires less sugar than jelly:
  • 150ml white vinegar
  • 75g sugar
  • 2 allspice berries
  • 3-4cm piece cinnamon stick
  • 1 clove
  • 275g redcurrants
Place the vinegar, sugar, allspice, cinnamon and clove in a small saucepan over a medium heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Pack the washed redcurrants into sterilised jars, nearly to the top. Pour the liquid over them so that it comes right to the top of the jar. Seal jars. Keeps ages. But don't open for at least a month.

That's lots of tempting ideas. Definitely UK jelly (well not as in jelly moulds), but the clear stuff you serve with meat or put on bread. I ended up with a large jar and couple of small jars of the stuff though Mum always prefers to make lots of tiny jars.

I also have Black currants waiting to be dealt with (and more still to pick). Do you have a recipe for the cordial?
blackcurrant cordial
500g blackcurrants
275g sugar
250ml water
½ tsp citric acid

In a heavy-based pan, simmer the sugar, blackcurrants and water gently for 5 minutes.

Using a potato masher, break up the fruit to release as much juice as possible.

Add the citric acid and simmer for another 2 minutes.

Strain the mix through muslin and pour the extracted liquid into a sterilised bottle and keep in the fridge.

Dilute with water or add to proseco if you want to be posh
There are also plenty of recipes with out citric acid ,but we always have it in for eldaflower and lemon cordial

You can always make seperate nectarine jam. It seems that it is only the UK that nectarine jam is not common. When I was in Turkey and Greece is was normal. Also works well with plums and peaches. Keep the sugar at around 1:1 or even less provided the jam/jelly has set according to the teaspoon of it on the saucer test.

Back
Top Bottom