Making jelly and not following the recipe exactly

blackcurrant cordial
500g blackcurrants
275g sugar
250ml water
½ tsp citric acid

In a heavy-based pan, simmer the sugar, blackcurrants and water gently for 5 minutes.

Using a potato masher, break up the fruit to release as much juice as possible.

Add the citric acid and simmer for another 2 minutes.

Strain the mix through muslin and pour the extracted liquid into a sterilised bottle and keep in the fridge.

Dilute with water or add to proseco if you want to be posh
There are also plenty of recipes with out citric acid ,but we always have it in for eldaflower and lemon cordial
And would I just swap the blackcurrants and redcurrants with each other?

I cannot resist relating my only experience of making jelly. I was on a course (for VSO volunteers) and the challenge was to make a photocopier (please stay awake at the back there). We had trays, jelly, paper and marker pens. The idea was to make a thin, level jelly onto which you could write something. Then you used the "printing press" to produce copies on the paper. Voila, instant photocopier.

I hasten to add that this was just a bit of fun to demonstrate how resourceful we could be.

Redcurrant Jam Drops
Ingredients

1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped out
300g plain flour
200g butter
100g caster sugar
100g ground hazelnuts
2 egg yolks
1 pinch salt

For Decoration
icing sugar for dusting
redcurrant jelly for filling

Makes: 65

Method
  • Mix together vanilla seeds, butter, sugar, eggs yolks and salt. Work flour and hazelnuts into the mix and knead into a dough. Wrap and chill for 2 hours.
  • Preheat oven to 200 C / Gas 6. Grease or line a baking tray with baking parchment.
  • Shape the dough into a long roll and cut into even slices. Roll each slice into a ball and press a small dent into each ball using the end of a spoon.
  • Transfer to the prepared baking tray and bake for 12-15 minutes on the middle shelf.
  • Let biscuits cool on the tray for a few minutes, before transferring them to a wire rack to cool fully.
  • Meanwhile, heat jelly in a pan over low heat. Stir until smooth. Dust cold biscuits with icing sugar and fill with warm jam.

Prep:20min › Cook:12min › Extra time:2hr chilling › Ready in:2hr32min

http://allrecipes.co.uk/

I'll post as a seperate recipe as well.
Oh my goodness - thank you so much! A recipe for home made Jammy Dodgers. They were my father's absolute favourite biscuits and I haven't seen or even thought of them for years and now you bring a shower of happy memories flooding back! :)

Oh my goodness - thank you so much! A recipe for home made Jammy Dodgers. They were my father's absolute favourite biscuits and I haven't seen or even thought of them for years and now you bring a shower of happy memories flooding back! :)
No Jammy Dodgers in Wales! Nip over the border and smuggle some back.

Back
Top Bottom