Marmite and Vegemite

Where did you find the marmite? I didn't know any stores in Ohio carried it. We don't have Kroger up here in NE Ohio, BTW (I know that they do down in the Cincy area). I've never eaten marmite but always wanted to try it.
I got it at Jungle Jim´s - however, last week I saw it at Krogers in Oakley.
Vegemite is better.
No it ain´t. A cheap imitation of the original.:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
This is the real thing - no sanitariums, only breweries:D:D

The story goes that it was invented in Germany by a chemist who used brewer´s yeast to make the stuff. Then it appeared in Northern England, using the leftover yeast from the Bass brewery. It was exported to Oz and NZ. An Ozzie chemist invented Vegemite in 1922 - same principle, used brewers yeast.
In the war, marmite was difficult to export and it lost ground to locally made Vegemite.

Vegemite is a strong taste.... it's basically umami concentrate. But it's a bit like chilli, the beginner starts with the merest scrape on a slice of toast, but before long your tolerance builds up and you'll be slapping it on that bread in generously thick waves to get the same hit just like an average Aussie.

It's also an awesome additive when making gravy from pan juices. One of the first cooking tips I learnt off my Grandmother in the early 70's.

Vegemite is a strong taste.... it's basically umami concentrate. But it's a bit like chilli, the beginner starts with the merest scrape on a slice of toast, but before long your tolerance builds up and you'll be slapping it on that bread in generously thick waves to get the same hit just like an average Aussie.

It's also an awesome additive when making gravy from pan juices. One of the first cooking tips I learnt off my Grandmother in the early 70's.
That's how I feel about wasabi. I started out with just a smidgen, now I crave a big knob of it!

X2 as well

I would try it, always wanted to. I have no idea since I have never eaten either one of them, but I am sure some of the Brits may argue with you on that one.

I like them both (Marmite and Vegemite). Vegemite is much milder than Marmite. If you do get some, the important thing is to use the tiniest amount spread on top of buttered bread or toast. Its a umami ingredient. Hard core enthusiasts like me may use more but its best to start carefully. They both work very well with peanut butter too - Marmite produce a ready mixed version.

Great added to stews too...

caseydog - it keeps forever. It can always be used in stews and stocks. The problem for you could be salt levels.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom