Marmitegate

classic33

Legendary Member
Local time
4:02 PM
With Marmitegate II in the wings, how brand loyal are you?

One item, out of many they own, gave it the name. In the UK, ASDA was the only one of the big four to break away and do a deal behind closed doors. So for for a while, Marmite was actually dearer there. Stores in Ireland were hit by the price hike, initially.

If the bell does sound for round two, will you stick to the the brands you know, or buy the cheaper?

http://www.thedrum.com/news/2016/10...itegate-battle-it-s-certainly-not-won-the-war

I'd probably be OK eating other brands. I've tried them but for some reason they don't have the spreadability of Marmite. Having said that, its a while since I tried another brand. I wonder how @SatNavSaysStraightOn is getting on with Vegemite, down under?

Is there a US equivalent?

I'd probably be OK eating other brands. I've tried them but for some reason they don't have the spreadability of Marmite. Having said that, its a while since I tried another brand. I wonder how @SatNavSaysStraightOn is getting on with Vegemite, down under?

Is there a US equivalent?
It's not just Marmite though. Mentioned earlier elsewhere, was the fact once the toffees are removed from Quality Street, production can be be moved out of the the UK.
List of some of the 400 names that were withdrawn from shelves in "Marmigate" in the picture below. Nestle own over 8,000
UniLever.jpg

Bell rung for Round Two
Birds Eye and Walkers ask supermarkets for up to 12% price rises

Birds Eye, which is owned by New-York-listed Nomad Foods, is seeking price rises of as much as 12% as it said many of its raw materials were priced in dollars and so its sterling costs had risen.

Birds Eye is said to be threatening to shrink pack sizes on some products to help offset cost increases, cutting the number of fish fingers in a packet, for example, from 12 to 10 or from 20 to 18.

Wayne Hudson, Birds Eye’s UK and Ireland managing director, said: “Increasing costs is not a decision we take lightly, and the last time it was necessary to raise costs was in 2012. As such, we have been in open and collaborative conversations with the retailers for some time now and are working closely with them to minimise any impact on our customers.”

He said Birds Eye’s costs had risen by an average of 5%. Some product costs increased by more than that, requiring the company to push for a double figure price increase in some cases. The company said it was aiming to absorb a significant proportion of the raw material cost inflation itself.

“Our first priority is always to the people who buy our brands and we are committed to ensuring they get the best quality products that provide value for money.”

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...ers-supermarkets-price-rise-brexit-vote-pound

As for who owns who, the big 10 worldwide.
big-10.png

Effects of Round Two can already be seen in the supermarkets.

This time it seems the prices have been lowered. In some cases by 40%. And it's not just food items either!

Interesting to note that this happens in the days the Pound does better against the US Dollar, by US owned companies.

Last edited:
Effects of Round Two can already be seen in the supermarkets.

This time it seems the prices have been lowered. In some cases by 40%. And it's not just food items either!

Interesting to note that this happens in the days the Pound does better against the US Dollar, by US owned companies.
What have you seen that's reduced by 40%? I can't say I've noticed this yet...

And having to visit Sainsburys earlier tonight, prescription to pick up, showed it's much the same with regards Walls & Birds Eye. Just empty fridge & freezer space. No price tickets on display either.

Back
Top Bottom