meatloaf question

Puggles

Veteran
Local time
12:06 PM
I'm going to be doing meatloaf tonight and one thing I've always noticed is that after it's done cooking, there is a lot of fat. The meatloaf is basically almost submerged in it. I use typical 80/20 (I've even done it with 90/10) but I get the same results. When I search for meatloaf recipes, I never see or hear anything about this issue, I don't even see it in the videos for meatloaf. Why is this happening? I use a standard glass loaf pan.

I follow a technique described by America’s Test Kitchen.

I shape the loaf into more of a bowl shape, then I place it on an oven-safe rack sat in a foil-lined sheet pan. All the fat drains away while it bakes.

I use the Quaker Oats meatloaf recipe and place it on the broiler pan, lining the top and bottom parts with foil, then cutting corresponding slices in the top foil lining. I still get some drippings but the oats soak up a lot of the fat and juices keeping the meatloaf nice and moist.

I use my grill/smoker to cook meatloaf, and place the loaf right on the grate, with a drip pan below the grate. Excess grease drips off.

to do this, you need to place your formed meat loaf in the fridge for at least a couple of hours to firm up, before putting it on the grill grate.

You have a great smoker, you should try this. I use hickory for my wood.

What did you cook or eat today (October 2023)?

CD

I use a foil-lined pan above a baking pan. I pierce the foil to let the fat drain to the bottom pan.

I use my grill/smoker to cook meatloaf, and place the loaf right on the grate, with a drip pan below the grate. Excess grease drips off.

to do this, you need to place your formed meat loaf in the fridge for at least a couple of hours to firm up, before putting it on the grill grate.

You have a great smoker, you should try this. I use hickory for my wood.

What did you cook or eat today (October 2023)?

CD
I bake mine in the oven on a fine-slotted foil-lined drip grate. Do you chill just so your loaf holds its shape on a relatively coarse grate, or do you find an additional advantage?

Do you chill just so your loaf holds its shape on a relatively coarse grate, or do you find an additional advantage?

Yes, it holds together WAY better on an open grate and no pan if you let it chill uncovered for a couple of hours in the fridge.

CD

Back
Top Bottom