Recipe Meatloaf with Ketchup, Mustard, Honey Glaze

ElizabethB

Guru
Local time
2:13 PM
I forgot. I said that I never used Ketchup as an ingredient . I forgot about meatloaf. George is at the Toledo Bend camp. I started to wait for him to come home before making meatloaf. I decided to make it now because I am hungry and need something for dinner and leftover meatloaf is better than fresh. So here is my take on an old school recipe. Growing up Mother made meatloaf at least once a week. The traditional sides were buttered peas and creamed potatoes. :scratchhead: I absolutely love creamed potatoes. I always use Youkan Gold potatoes. I am out of Youkan Gold potatoes. My red potatoes are starting to sprout and must be used so I made garlic smashed potatoes. The second side that Mother served was buttered peas. :hyper:No peas in the house. Green beans will have to do.

MEATLOAF WITH KETCHUP, MUSTARD, HONEY GLAZE

INGREDIENTS

Loaf

2 1/2 lbs. ground (minced) beef chuck roast
1 cup very small dice onion
1 TBSP minced garlic
1/3 cup milk
1 egg
3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
1 Tsp. dried Thyme leaves or 1 TBSP fresh
1 Tsp. dried Oregano leaves or 1 TBSP fresh
1 TBSP Worcestershire Sauce
Salt and pepper

Glaze

1/3 cup Ketchup
2 TBSP Mustard (preferably English Mustard for the heat)
2 TBSP Honey

METHOD

. Heat oven to 350 degrees F/177 C
. In a large bowl combine all of the loaf ingredients. Be gentle. The beef will get tough if it is overworked.
. In a small bowl whisk together the glaze ingredients.
. Use a pizza stone or line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Shape the beef mixture in a loaf shape. Of course you can use a loaf pan. I like to use the pizza stone or sheet pan to get a better cook on the sides. When I use a loaf pan the sides look anemic. Cover the loaf with glaze.
. Bake for 50 - 60 minutes.
. Let rest for 5 minutes then serve with your favorite sides.

20240224_165934.jpg

Looks like a hot mess. Smells wonderful.

20240224_170239.jpg

I make a glaze with ketchup and Worcestershire. I bet that ketchup, mustard, honey glaze is great as well, plus I always put mustard on leftover meatloaf sandwiches on the rare times there are leftovers, so mustard in the glaze is a great idea.

Oh, is the mustard in the recipe dry mustard powder or wet?

Back
Top Bottom