Medium rare when is it rare.?

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
5:09 PM
So last night I cooked fillet mignon x 7 for adults. 4 are well done. (No problem)
2 blue ( me and son) perfect.
Daughter asked for medium rare. I checked by making a small cut in it. It was pink. I rested all for 5 mins.
Daughter took 1 cut in and went to the pan and reheated and cooked for another 5 mins. Quietly im a bit p@$$%^off. I didn't say anything. I think she wanted it well done.
Shes been eating out a bit lately. Maybe shes getting too fussy?
Thoughts on med rare?

Russ

Well, next time, I guess I’d ask her what she thinks med-rare should look like, showing her pics on the internet. Maybe she just has a different idea, and I know people are very personal about what they call rare, med-rare, etc.

I've been thinking about it overnight and I'm a bit p' d off even now. I am going to get her to cook her own next time.ill see how that goes? Lol.
Maybe I'm overthinking it??
D.i.l on way out said thanks gan gan that meal was perfect.

Russ

I'd be p****d off too, but never mind.
I looked up Ramsay, Pepin, Bourdain (who wasn't fond of filet mignon), Joel Rebuchon, Eric Ripert...
Consensus seems to be for rare filet mignon, 5-6 minutes and an internal temp of 125-130F.
Medium is 6-7 minutes and 135-140F
alternately, "rare" is when you touch the palm of your hand; medium is the base of your hand and well done is the inside of your wrist.
My kids like it bloody. I crank the grill or the pan up to maximum, then do maybe 2 minutes per side.
I know - they're cavemen.

I looked up Ramsay, Pepin, Bourdain (who wasn't fond of filet mignon), Joel Rebuchon, Eric Ripert...
Consensus seems to be for rare filet mignon, 5-6 minutes and an internal temp of 125-130F.
alternately, "rare" is when you touch the palm of your hand; medium is the base of your hand and well done is the inside of your wrist.
My kids like it bloody. I crank the grill or the pan up to maximum, then do maybe 2 minutes per side.

Lol that's me and our son. Blue. Steaks start at room temperature.

Russ

The only ways I know to get perfect doneness is either sous vide, or use a probe thermometer. I paid about ten bucks for my probe thermometer, and it works as well as the pricey ones.

When you cook sous vide, you aim a little higher on the temperature, because steaks cooked in a pan or over fire will continue cooking while they rest off the heat. Sous vide steaks do not continue to cook with carry-over heat. I sous vide steaks at 135F. I then sear them so fast that they don't cook any more. That gives me a perfect medium rare every time.

Cooked over heat, you would pull them at 125F-130F and let them rest. They will raise as much as 5 degrees while resting.

When my sister's steak is not done enough for her, she just pops it in the Microwave for about 20-30 seconds. It tones down the pink, and doesn't hurt the steak at all with that short amount of microwave time.

CD

My medium rare is 125F internal temperature.

My medium rare is a little higher than that.

This NY Strip was sous vide for 90 minutes at 135F, and seared less than one minute per side in hot cast iron with butter.

1695591417977.jpeg

CD

The only ways I know to get perfect doneness is either sous vide, or use a probe thermometer. I paid about ten bucks for my probe thermometer, and it works as well as the pricey ones.

When you cook sous vide, you aim a little higher on the temperature, because steaks cooked in a pan or over fire will continue cooking while they rest off the heat. Sous vide steaks do not continue to cook with carry-over heat. I sous vide steaks at 135F. I then sear them so fast that they don't cook any more. That gives me a perfect medium rare every time.

Cooked over heat, you would pull them at 125F-130F and let them rest. They will raise as much as 5 degrees while resting.

When my sister's steak is not done enough for her, she just pops it in the Microwave for about 20-30 seconds. It tones down the pink, and doesn't hurt the steak at all with that short amount of microwave time.

CD

I said to her zap it for a few seconds. She said no, has to be right. They all rested for 5 mins minimum. Shes never complained before. Still thinking she can do it herself next time.

Russ

I said to her zap it for a few seconds. She said no, has to be right. They all rested for 5 mins minimum. Shes never complained before. Still thinking she can do it herself next time.

Russ

Tell her a Texan friend said a short zap in the Microwave won't hurt the steak at all. 🤠

CD :laugh:

My medium rare is a little higher than that.

This NY Strip was sous vide for 90 minutes at 135F, and seared less than one minute per side in hot cast iron with butter.

View attachment 105168

CD
That’s what mine looked like after the rest. I think I’m having another tonight with rocket salad dressed with vinaigrette and fried zucchini. I’ll try to get a money shot. I love the vinaigrette on the steak.

Back
Top Bottom