Medium rare when is it rare.?

I used to order my steak medium. But over the years medium became almost well done for me. Mostly grey with a very thin strip of pink through the middle. I like it mostly very pink not bloody red or “blue”.

This is from tonights steak.

steak_salad_092423_3_IMG_1668.jpg

My DIL is a picky eater and a drama queen. I make an amazing carrot cake. Seriously divine. DIL will not eat it because she does not "do" cake containing vegetables. She makes a face and shakes her hands to express what she does not "do".
Her loss. Her food preferences are really tied into her drama. I don't DO this or I don't DO that.
If I cooked for her preference - I could not do so.
The only time I cook for Stepson and DIL is at our Toledo Bend lake camp. Stepson has a beautiful lake house on the water across the street from our lake camp. Stepson has a limited menu. Fried fish, pork ribs and sausage smoked on his pellet grill, steaks seared on his grill.

That’s what mine looked like after the rest. I think I’m having another tonight with rocket salad dressed with vinaigrette and fried zucchini. I’ll try to get a money shot. I love the vinaigrette on the steak.

Yes, the way you are cooking your steaks, you have to stop at a lower internal temperature, because it keeps cooking while it rests. Cooking meat sous vide requires a whole different strategy. It is something you have to get used to.

CD

Ps I quite often tell family and friends " my internet friends do it this wsy"
" this is how my corncob friend makes pizza dough"
I get a lot of mileage from stuff people say on here. :) :)

Russ

Your corncob friend? Who makes pizza? I wonder who that is? :laugh:

A man with a hillbilly/redneck accent could be a certifiable genius, but when people hear him talk, they automatically deduct at least 20 IQ points, usually more. But, that's how Carroll Shelby kicked Enzo Ferrari's a$$ at Lemans.

CD

My DIL is a picky eater and a drama queen. I make an amazing carrot cake. Seriously divine. DIL will not eat it because she does not "do" cake containing vegetables. She makes a face and shakes her hands to express what she does not "do".
Her loss. Her food preferences are really tied into her drama. I don't DO this or I don't DO that.
If I cooked for her preference - I could not do so.
The only time I cook for Stepson and DIL is at our Toledo Bend lake camp. Stepson has a beautiful lake house on the water across the street from our lake camp. Stepson has a limited menu. Fried fish, pork ribs and sausage smoked on his pellet grill, steaks seared on his grill.

My family thought I had rather arrogant tastes in food, until I started cooking for them. I first cooked for them the kinds of foods they liked to eat, but cooked very well. My dad was the first convert. He didn't look up from his plate until it was clean. Then my mom and sister came to realize I could actually cook good food. After that, I started to teach my dad how to cook -- he was retired and looking for new things to keep him busy, and my mom and sister didn't want to learn anything from me. My dad listened, and was getting pretty good, until dementia creeped in. When that happened, he just didn't remember things that I taught him.

Now, my mom LOVES it when I cook for her. My sister is gradually getting used to me trying to teach her new things, but she's still a bit stubborn about her "little brother" possibly knowing anything she doesn't know. I guess that is pretty common with siblings.

CD

Your corncob friend? Who makes pizza? I wonder who that is? :laugh:

A man with a hillbilly/redneck accent could be a certifiable genius, but when people hear him talk, they automatically deduct at least 20 IQ points, usually more. But, that's how Carroll Shelby kicked Enzo Ferrari's a$$ at Lemans.

CD

I was just reading your post and started laughing. My wife looked at me with that wtf look. I said it's a gunslinger from Texas. Lol

Russ

My family thought I had rather arrogant tastes in food
My family all think I’m the best all-around cook among us. My mom, of course, thinks I’m the best cook in the world. 😬

Even my sister, who on her best day will easily out-do me, but on her worst day will create inedible garbage, says I’m the best cook in the family.

The one “criticism” I get (though not from my mom or my sis) is that I make too much “weird shit.” - I know amongst the members here, my cooking looks pretty unadventurous and middle-of-the-road, but to my family, I’m some kind of love child of Julia Child and Dr. Frankenstein. Let’s just say those strawberry pork chops were not met with rave reviews when I sent them all pictures. :laugh:

My family all think I’m the best all-around cook among us. My mom, of course, thinks I’m the best cook in the world. 😬

Even my sister, who on her best day will easily out-do me, but on her worst day will create inedible garbage, says I’m the best cook in the family.

The one “criticism” I get (though not from my mom or my sis) is that I make too much “weird shit.” - I know amongst the members here, my cooking looks pretty unadventurous and middle-of-the-road, but to my family, I’m some kind of love child of Julia Child and Dr. Frankenstein. Let’s just say those strawberry pork chops were not met with rave reviews when I sent them all pictures. :laugh:

I think I commented a quite nice reply to that. It took some restraint lol

Russ

Back
Top Bottom