Merry Christmas 2023!

Finishing out the afternoon with Christmas Queen Lacey Chabert:

IMG_7158.jpeg

I completely lost my s**t on Christmas eve. This year I felt like I could actually handle Christmas and I was supposed to spend Christmas eve with boyfriend's family, but one week before Christmas I started feeling letargic, and I was never hungry, and ate very little, and didn't want to cook, and I had been all excited about making and decorating Christmas cookies but I just couldn't do it, and my stomach hurt all the time, and every day I woke up at 5 or 6AM and couldn't sleep anymore. Come December 24, I actually woke up feeling calm, and I went to the kitchen to make some meringue cookies, and as I was going through the kitchen cabinets I accidentally dropped my favorite measuring cup which is a Pyrex cup that is just the perfect size for me to heat water for the yeast I use on my bread. And I just lost it. I started sobbing uncontrolabily, and I couldn't eat anything for lunch, and I cried a bit more, and then some more. Boyfriend came home in the afternoon and I was actually feeling better, but soon as he walks in I started crying, and I tried to get myself together so I washed my face and applied some foundation and I cried again and applied more foundation and cried again so I had a glass of whiskey and applied more foundation and cried again and I just realized I couldn't do it. By now my entire face hurt and I looked all puffy and read and even the best makeup artist in the world couldn't make me look normal, so I just told boyfriend I couldn't do it, and he got upset with me for not spending Christmas with his family, and we argued, and I cried, and in the end I just stayed home, and after some time home I was actually able to relax and I just spent the night watching youtube videos and that was it.

I feel so much better today. And looking back I can see the situation was kind of funny in a tragic-comedy way. But I am never doing Christmas eve again, ever. I will just stay home and celebrate Lemmy Kilmister's birthday instead!

Let me share the funniest bit. After I broke my favorite measure glass I was so distraught that I added the wrong ingredient to the egg whites but I have no idea what it was. The recipe called for cream of tartar, and my cream of tartar is a white powder in a small sprinkle jar. I used a white powder that is in some jar that I scooped with a spoon. But I have no idea what that white powder was. Anyway me and my family ate the meringue cookies today. So far no one died. And the meringue cookies tasted good.

Last edited:
I completely lost my s**t on Christmas eve. This year I felt like I could actually handle Christmas and I was supposed to spend Christmas eve with boyfriend's family, but one week before Christmas I started feeling letargic, and I was never hungry, and ate very little, and didn't want to cook, and I had been all excited about making and decorating Christmas cookies but I just couldn't do it, and my stomach hurt all the time, and every day I woke up at 5 or 6AM and couldn't sleep anymore. Come December 24, I actually woke up feeling calm, and I went to the kitchen to make some meringue cookies, and as I was going through the kitchen cabinets I accidentally dropped my family measuring cup which is a Pyrex cup that is just the perfect size for me to heat water for the yeast I use on my bread. And I just lost it. I started sobbing uncontrolabily, and I couldn't eat anything for lunch, and I cried a bit more, and then some more. Boyfriend came home in the afternoon and I was actually feeling better, but soon as he walks in I started crying, and I tried to get myself together so I washed my face and applied some foundation and I cried again and applied more foundation and cried again so I had a glass of whiskey and applied more foundation and cried again and I just realized I couldn't do it. By now my entire face hurt and I looked all puffy and read and even the best makeup artist in the world couldn't make me look normal, so I just told boyfriend I couldn't do it, and he got upset with me for not spending Christmas with his family, and we argued, and I cried, and in the end I just stayed home, and after some time home I was actually able to relax and I just spent the night watching youtube videos and that was it.

I feel so much better today. And looking back I can see the situation was kind of funny in a tragic-comedy way. But I am never doing Christmas eve again, ever. I will just stay home and celebrate Lemmy Kilmister's birthday instead!

Let me share the funniest bit. After I broke my favorite measure glass I was so distraught that I added the wrong ingredient to the egg whites but I have no idea what it was. The recipe called for cream of tartar, and my cream of tartar is a white powder in a small sprinkle jar. I used a white powder that is in some jar that I scooped with a spoon. But I have no idea what that white powder was. Anyway me and my family ate the meringue cookies today. So far no one died. And the meringue cookies tasted good.
So sorry honey, how are you feeling now?

So sorry honey, how are you feeling now?
I'm feeling normal again thankfully. I've spent Christmas eve alone sometimes and it really is the best for me. People think it's sad and they kinda pity me but to me it just ends up being a regular night in, relaxing and reading and drinking tea. I have ruined at least two Christmas eves by becoming an emotional wreck and the Christmas eve I didn't ruin I had to really try my best to act normal and not burst in tears. It really is better for my mental health that I just spend Christmas eve alone. The circumstances leading up to me spending Christmas alone (a disjointed family) are sad, but spending Christmas eve alone is not.

I completely lost my s**t on Christmas eve.
I’m so sorry you had such a bad day. Was all/some/any (circle one :wink: ) of that anxiety over having to do the whole Christmas thing with your BF’s family?

If you want to spend Christmas Even alone, nothing wrong with that! I’m happy you’re feeling better now.

I’m so sorry you had such a bad day. Was all/some/any (circle one :wink: ) of that anxiety over having to do the whole Christmas thing with your BF’s family?

If you want to spend Christmas Even alone, nothing wrong with that! I’m happy you’re feeling better now.
It was definitely having to do with "doing Christmas" in general! But I've learned my lesson and I'm not even trying to do Christmas again. And looking back there is a bit of comedy in that day although it surely didn't feel like that at the time. And I will never forget that adventure with the meringue cookies 😂

I'm feeling normal again thankfully. I've spent Christmas eve alone sometimes and it really is the best for me. People think it's sad and they kinda pity me but to me it just ends up being a regular night in, relaxing and reading and drinking tea. I have ruined at least two Christmas eves by becoming an emotional wreck and the Christmas eve I didn't ruin I had to really try my best to act normal and not burst in tears. It really is better for my mental health that I just spend Christmas eve alone. The circumstances leading up to me spending Christmas alone (a disjointed family) are sad, but spending Christmas eve alone is not.

Sorry you had a bad few days. Do things at your pace, you know your body best.
Thinking of you. :)

Russ

There is so much emphasis on 'doing Christmas' that it can add anxiety and pressure. We all have the right to step back and do what is right for us instead of doing what we are expected to do.
Do what is right for you. Glad you are feeling better :hug:

Apologies to everyone. Thank you TastyReuben for starting the thread.

I'm guessing you know we've've had an interesting Christmas so far. Everything was going fine until about 3pm on Christmas day when we were got by a very intense thunderstorm/series of storms. I've no idea what the Australian weather has against Christmas, but once again, it has totally disrupted it yet again. We've had so many trees torn down, exploded, ripped apart, and so on, that our road is barely recognisable and with my 4×4 off the road from Tuesday's attempt at catching fire, we were on foot for most of yesterday (no driving through fields in our SUV). The fences for many properties bordering the road, have been destroyed and many property owners were away with families when the storms hit. As the SES (State emergency services) cleared the road, livestock had to be rounded up and got to safety even as the light was fading last night. Clean up and round ups have continued today, and as roads became more accessible we've been able to stop and let owners' take over and assess damage. Luckily for us, but unluckily for those affected tonight's storms are south of us and rain/hail wise worse than yesterday. We were badly affected by rain and high winds, they've got hail and rain, so local flooding.... we're back with electricity but have lost it 6 times so far this afternoon/evening.

We're due more storms tomorrow, so have taken the decision not to go to the coast on our (27th) wedding anniversary. The storms are heading that way and if the only 'easy' route gets closed, it's +300km diversion to get home, assuming our road remains open to the house.

In the middle of all of this my (little) sister needed an hour long sob on the phone to big sister. She's still missing me and with a drink too many blames herself for not being there 9 years ago when I needed our family's help after my back went leaving me paralysed and no one from my family except the older of my 2 brothers came to see me for the first 6 months despite us living close by.

So I'll play catch up over the next few days, and apologise now for not being around.

Sorry, and best wishes, Merry Christmas, (Happy New Year and so on, thought I'd get it in just in case with the way the weather is going...)
SNSSO

I'm guessing you know we've've had an interesting Christmas so far.
Wow, that’s a lot to deal with at any time, let alone Christmas. Hoping everything gets squared away as quickly as possible, and that you have a wonderful anniversary, even if it isn’t where/what you planned.

So daughter dropped a clanged xmas night when she said she would like to do xmas lunch next year??
I said I'd think about it?
I love cooking the meal but I don't think she would be able to keep everything warm.. 3 meats plus veges .
My wife thinks we should .
It would definitely be cheaper if I did.
I think she would be too slow??

Russ

So daughter dropped a clanged xmas night when she said she would like to do xmas lunch next year??
I said I'd think about it?
I love cooking the meal but I don't think she would be able to keep everything warm.. 3 meats plus veges .
My wife thinks we should .
It would definitely be cheaper if I did.
I think she would be too slow??

Russ
Does that really matter?
Isn't it great she offered?
Just say yes, and closer to the time offer to help

Back
Top Bottom