Methods for tenderising meat

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
11:37 AM
Mod. Edit posts moved to start a new thread

YES, I love pork chops. If lovin pork chops is wrong, I don't wanna be right, baby.

This is the best we can obtain locally. The Thais don't really go for pork chops. I've yet to find one with a kidley in it......

pork chop raw 1 s.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a fine looking chop. It could use a brine.

Suggestions, anyone?
Why brine meat rather than marinade, since both tenderise and a marinade sounds healthier i.e. not so heavy on salt? In short, what are the benefits of brining over marinade?

Why brine meat rather than marinade, since both tenderise and a marinade sounds healthier i.e. not so heavy on salt? In short, what are the benefits of brining over marinade?

While they are similar, a brine uses the process of salt to affect the moisture content and retention, which carries with it the other flavors in the brine. A marinade is more superficial in that it tenderizes (only if you use an enzymatic action - things like dairy, papaya, pineapple) but the flavor only goes so deep, and it doesn't necessarily affect the moisture in the meat.

A lot of marinades also contain salt for flavor, but they also have a lot of sugar for flavor.

Sugar doesn't cook well on the grill or on the grill pan; anything at high heat.

Apart from marinading (which you rightly say is only partially/superficially effective and I wouldn't use sugar anyway) there are other methods of tenderising meat, e.g. bashing it out or long, slow cooking. Since I have to watch my salt intake, I would favour those methods.

Do you have a jaccard for meats? They work great, especially on tougher cuts, and can even be used to help inject healthy flavors like garlic or herbs by making tiny holes.

Wonderful on tough steaks.

Do you have a jaccard for meats? They work great, especially on tougher cuts, and can even be used to help inject healthy flavors like garlic or herbs by making tiny holes.

Wonderful on tough steaks.
Wow...just googled it...never heard or seen it here. I have a meat malet but I tend to buy good cuts of meat anyway.

There are few cuts of beef, such as tenderloin or strip, that can't do with a little forking.

There are few cuts of beef, such as tenderloin or strip, that can't do with a little forking.
I'm glad you typed that word right!
558648.gif
blush.gif

Has anyone else here used a jaccard? I see that there is no need to marinade for hours, i.e. just place marinade on it and cook!

food-tool-jaccard-beats-all-other-meat-tenderizers.w1456.jpg

Last edited:
I'm just glad that we weren't talking about icemakers.

My new fridge makes ice with little holes in them.

I'm glad you typed that word right!
558648.gif
blush.gif

Has anyone else here used a jaccard? I see that there is no need to marinade for hours, i.e. just place marinade on it and cook!

food-tool-jaccard-beats-all-other-meat-tenderizers.w1456.jpg
Yes. I own one of those. I also own a mallet. I have been known to marinade but @buckytom I have never used sugar in a marinade.

Back
Top Bottom