Review Mini Guide to Oils & Vinegars - Time, Inc.

Francesca

Local time
4:26 AM
The New York City Publisher, Time, Inc. had published what they entitled: The Mini Guide in one of their monthly magazine publications and to be quite frank, I found some grave errors regarding some of the Mediterranean countries, and have corrected them and sent them an email of their gaffs and lack of excellence research .. To make matters worse they only selected 7 countries from the entire planet ..

Here are their suggestions: (The Mediterranean countries were corrected) ..

Japan: Rice vinegar with rice bran oil ..
China: Black vinegar with sesame oil ..

Austria: Apple cider vinegard with pumpkin seed oil ..

Usa: Honey vinegar with avocado oil ..
Usa: Beer vinegar with peanut oil ..

France: Champagne vinegar with Extra virgin olive oil ..
Spain: Sherry Vinegar with Extra virgin olive oil ..
Italy: Balsamic vinegar with Extra virgin olive oil ..

How do you make your vinaigrettes ? What types of oils do you employ and types of vinegar do you use ?

The only bio / organic oil we use is: Extra virgin olive oil and Bio / organic vinegars we use vary: Gran Caprierte 50 Year Sherry Jeréz Vinegar, Rasberry Vinegar, Red Wine Vinegar, Champagne Vinegar and Modena Italian Balsamic ..

Have a wonderful day ..

Last edited:
This seems like a list of vinaigrettes not a list of oils and vinegars. There are so many different combinations of different oils and different vinegars that can be used so I'm not sure what this mini-guide in Time.Inc was trying to achieve. No mention of the UK?

As to your question I have an very long list! All kinds of oils; walnut, sesame, EVOO, EV rapeseed, sunflower, herb flavoured oils etc. Each can be used with any number of vinegars; balsamic, white wine, red wine, cider, sherry,rice wine vinegar, vinegars flavoured with herbs or spices etc. I suppose I don't have a particular way!

That is just wrong (Greece not being mentioned)

@morning glory

The Mini Guide, as it was entitled was a list of 7 countries and their general stereotype of which oils they use and which vinegars are employed with those oils.

98 % of the globe is missing ..

Poor research however, it stimulated a chat ..

So have a lovely evening ..

We keep a fairly decent collection of vinegars here for all sorts of uses & a few oils.

We make salad most days to compliment the main meal so the dressing reflects the cuisine.

White wine vinegar
Red wine vinegar
Balsamic
Aged balsamic
Mango vinegar
White vinegar
Brown malt vinegar
Apple cider vinegar
Quava vinegar

Canola oil
Peanut oil
EVOO
Sesame oil
Chilli oil

In my fridge is usually a soy, lime & sesame dressing plus a mango poppyseed dressing. I cut up a lot of crunchy salad stuff on Sunday afternoon & it goes into the fridge in a sealed container - lunch is made easy to pack when the prep is done. We have tiny re-usable plastic containers to carry dressing in.

When younger my children's favourite kitchen activity was to invent their own dressing using the mortar & pestle. Their favourite ingredients being cumin, garlic & fennel seeds. Both of them will drink the apple cider vinegar by the spoonful if left unsupervised.

Australia is a bit different though. We don't have regional food or our own food. Most of my generation and those coming behind my generation eat globally.

I have balsamic vinegar, apple cider vinegar and malt vinegar in my cupboard. There are also some bottles of white vinegar, which I use for cheese making and for cleaning! Apple cider vinegar is excellent for washing your hair. I have two types of olive oil (EVOO and cooking-grade oil), as well as a large bottle of rapeseed oil for deep frying. I keep bottles for sauces and dressings (can be seen clearly in the background of some of my photos), but my favourite bottle for mixing dressings is a small, single-whisky sized bottle. My Mum always used to drink vinegar, and I do too - usually cider vinegar, but I can't resist the vinegar left over in a jar of pickled beetroot :laugh:

I have white vinegar, balsamic vinegar, Chinkiang vinegar, and rice vinegar. I've found that I can make my own wine vinegar by just blending the white vinegar with wine, but I often regret trying to substitute apple cider vinegar with something else: white vinegar works just about everywhere, but it's not quite the same.

The oil is always EVOO in my vinaigrettes, but I'm starting to get some ideas by looking at the rest of these posts.:)

Cookalong?

That is a good thought - but the Cookalong is about creating whole dishes rather than creating ingredients (its a fine dividing line!). I've never made any other cheese than the simple paneer/ricotta type created by adding acid to milk and draining off the whey. I have a small book about cheese-making but haven't really tried out the techniques. We are off topic!. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom