Misshapen fruit and veg

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
2:14 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
This follows on from TastyReuben 's thread about his basil leaves.

I said I'd get some photos of the irregular fruit & veg section in my supermarket. To be honest, I'd prefer that the misshapen stuff was next to the supermarket perfect stuff than in 2 separate isle ends.

So all of the cucumbers (Lebanese and continental) were gone...

20230722_112258.jpg

So courgettes, green and yellow bell peppers, avocados, tomatoes & carrots.

20230722_112212.jpg

Apples & pears, limes, lemons, oranges, a different red apple, and a different green apple. Prices are Australian Dollars (divide by 2 for a roughly UK equivalent)

So I picked up a bag of tomatoes. They'll need to ripen a touch but that's pretty normal.

20230722_140515.jpg

20230722_140709.jpg

20230722_140716.jpg

20230722_140648.jpg
20230722_140733.jpg

There is 1 tomato with a minor blemish but otherwise I can't see why they are considered imperfect! I'll update you on their taste later in the week but they can't be worse than the "perfect" roma toms we had last week.

Do you remember when the UK supermarkets used to sell classes of fruit and veg marked as 'Class I' and 'Class II'?
Only the uk would want to impose a class system for fruit and veg rather than grades 😂

But they have brought it back to an extent with imperfect fruit and veg labelled as 'Wonky' that pleases me.

The supermarkets can reject a whole load if they find any imperfect ones so the majority of imperfect rejected fruit n veg veg has absolutely nothing wrong with it!

Those tomatoes look just fine to me. Makes me wonder how the evil supermarket buyers actually classify "Grade I" or "Class A" vegetables. Do they have a specific weight, a predetermined circumference or an optimal colour? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I also find it amusing that wonky veg are sort of "apologised for", as if the supermarkets are mistreating customers on purpose. They call them "odd", and "about to be wasted"...

We have online services that sell nothing but imperfect fruits and vegetables. The only grocery stores here that you will find imperfects are privately owned or are roadside stands.

There is a variety of tomato that you can find in chain grocery stores, the Ugly Ripe. It's more expensive than the pretty round, smooth tomatoes, but it also taste better, so...

Up to 40% of UK veg crop can go to waste for being the wrong size shape or colour. I find food waste abhorrent so I love that wonky veg is making it's way into supermarkets. It seems far more natural to have uneven shapes and sizes too.

Last edited:
ALL fruit and vegetables are wonky in Venezuela. And almost NONE are sold in horrible plastic bags or cellophane wrappers. That means I actually get the chance to select what fruit & veg I want, because I may just be looking for 6 small peppers to stuff, not those mega-sized Barbie ones.

It's a perversion. In the kitchen they prefer perfect veggies because you can prepare them faster, as they're all roughly the same shape and you don't have to adjust every time. Many chefs I've worked with understand the problem and would prefer wonky veggies, but the owner doesn't allow red numbers, as the most guest prefer fast and cheap preparation. In Bangladesh many kids are born with asthma.

We plant way more than necessary, that costs a lot of co2. Red numbers because chefs need more time to clean wonky veggies and nobody has time for that

Yeah, and many chefs ask what brings you money when you're practically destroying the life of your offsprings? That would be money worth nothing.

Back
Top Bottom