Recipe Mixed mushroom pate

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
10:49 AM
I haven't made this in years, so no picture.

I also use the ground dried mushrooms in pasta dough.

INGREDIENTS

1-1/2 Tbsp finely ground dried mushrooms (I use porcinis)
12 ounces, 3/4 pound mixed mushrooms, caps quartered, stems roughly chopped (remove and discard shiitaki stems)
2 Tbsp EVOO
4 medium cloves garlic, left whole and in their paper jackets
6 whole stems thyme
Kosher salt
Freshly cracked black pepper
3-4 ounces mascarpone OR cream cheese OR Neufchâtel cheese, softened
1/2 Tbsp flat leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
2 tsp Madeira wine or brandy

Garnish: Reserved roasted mushrooms and truffle oil for drizzling (if you can find real truffle oil) or truffle finishing salt, chopped parsley. If you can find them (and afford them), a shaved slice or 2 of white or black truffle would be a wonderful garnish by itself alone.

DIRECTIONS

Move the top oven rack to 5-6 inches from the top of your oven. Preheat oven to 500.

Heat a 12-14 inch skillet over medium high heat, add the EVOO, swirl, then add the mushrooms, thyme, garlic, salt and pepper, stir to coat everything with oil, then place in oven and roast for 15 minutes, stirring once. Remove from oven, stir in ground dried mushrooms, and allow to cool to room temperature.

Squeeze the garlic out of the paper jackets and remove the leaves left on the thyme stems, discarding the stems. Add the mushroom mix to a food processor, the wine or brandy, the chopped parsley, and 3 ounces of the softened cheese. Process until smooth. If the mixture is too soft, add the additional cheese and process just until combined. Taste and adjust seasoning. Place into serving dishes, smooth top and garnish as above. Serve.

That's interesting. I use chicken livers for mine, what constitutes " pate" .
I always thought it contained livers???
I love shrooms btw.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom