Pestle and Mortar

I have a small ceramic one that is pretty much only good for crushing spices.

I saw a guy make poi in a large wooden one on a TV show recently. It looked like a mexican mortar and pestle with the irregular surface wood work well for that.

I can only relate how the Thais use them (I'm too lazy and stick to electric gadgets). It's like a pounding twisting motion but it definitely is a pok-pok sound. This is an automated one that I spotted at an agricultural fair recently (obviously only an "up and down" motion).

View attachment 9376

@Yorky

Amazing !!!

Thank you for posting the photographs ..

Ours is wood. 200 mm (8") diameter bowl. Called a "pok-pok" here. Mainly used for crushing chilies, coriander root, galangal, lemon grass, garlic, whatever.

View attachment 9372

@morning glory

This mortar and pestle are absolutely incredible !!

It is so fascinating to see photographs from people around the globe, and their utensils they use, and their dishes of course, and their cookware, cooking machines etcetra ..

Another point is, we were in Thailand ( Bangkok and Phuket Island during the Christmas holidays of 2104 - 2015 ), however these are not things that you come across readily on a trip.

We did go to a Farmer´s Market in Phuket in the south ( 6 hours south of Bangkok to visit an autor and chef friend ) and at that Market we had the chance to see cooking utensils that were hand carved and flora that is used in decorating their dishes and tons of herbs and fruits and ceramic ware ..

You may come across souvenirs however, real Culinary tools, one must go to a Gastronomic Specialty Store -- if you are able to, or have an insider show you ..

Really exceptional.

Have a nice day ..

Last edited:
This is my one:

WP_20170726_21_41_05_Pro.jpg

My brother bought it in Thailand. It's about 8" across and 8" tall, and is made from some sort of stone, which makes it very heavy. The outside of it is quite rough too and, although the inside is smooth, I find it hard to clean. I keep it more as an ornament, preferring to use an electric grinder - I've got one for spices, and one for everything else.

I used to have a white ceramic pestle & mortar which was very pretty but was only good for soft things like fresh herbs. It was all too smooth so anything that you needed to actually crush such as garlic or hard spices just bounced out of the way. A couple of years ago I managed to drop the pestle on the tiled floor and it smashed so I had an excuse to go out and buy a new one :D

I now have a cast iron one like this:
17306_1?$325$.jpg

Its much better because both the pestle and mortar are textured so it actually grinds properly. The only thing you need to be careful about is cleaning it - if you don't dry it properly then it gets a bit of surface rust.

View attachment 9352
This is the one I got in Mexico 3 weeks ago. We made guacamole there using one like this. I have yet to use it since bringing it home, but I will if I feel like mashing up something more roughly that I would with a spice grinder.

Anyone else have a mortar and pestle who can tell me what to do with it besides mashing up avocados and whole spices?

We have a molcajete, which was previously mentioned, it is made from lava rock I believe and is black in color. Yours isn't the same color or texture (ours is more porous) and I think it is more for decorative purposes than actual usage, so I'm not sure it can be heated as a molcajete can. If you can heat it, look up recipes for "Mocajete Mixto".

Last edited:
I think the Thai Pok Poks are longer and narrower than the Pestle and Mortars we use in the West - hence there is less room to grind things around in a circular motion. I think they use it less for seeds and more for stems and leaves (like lemongrass) which would respond to be smashed in an up and down motion.
In Puerto Rico, they make a dish called Mofongo. They mash plantains using something similar to a Pok Pok, but larger. To me it looks like a palm tree section, hollowed out vertically. The masher/pounder looks like a baseball bat that has been formed for the job. I'm sure they come in different sizes, but the one I saw was used in a restaurant.

You certainly do have every eventuality covered, don't you? :okay:
I've got a wooden egg cup which I no longer use. Perhaps I should get it out of the cupboard. It would be fine for small quantities, and one of my old coffee spoons should be strong enough to grind with :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom