Recipe Mushroom Pilau

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
9:41 AM
Perfect for Autumn and full of warm earthy flavours. It is surprisingly easy to make. I used the chanterelles as well as chestnut mushrooms because I had them and because they look so pretty but you don’t have to. I cooked them separately as they are more delicate than chestnut mushrooms and I wanted them to hold their shape. Oh - and its also vegan!

20170923_153236.jpg

Ingredients (serves 4)
One large mug of basmati rice
4 - 5 tbs vegetable oil for frying
1 large onion finely chopped
1/2 a large red onion thinly sliced
200g chestnut mushrooms (cut into halves or quarters if large)
100g chanterelle mushrooms (optional - use extra chestnut mushrooms in stage 2 and omit stage 6, if you are unable to obtain chanterelles)
8 cloves
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp garam masala
2 or 3 pieces of cinnamon or cassia bark
2 blades of mace
A few generous grinds of black pepper
a small handful of fresh curry leaves (I use frozen fresh leaves). You can substitute a few bay leaves.

Method
  1. Heat 2 tbsp of the oil In a large shallow pan. Add the chopped onion and fry gently until golden brown.
  2. Add 1tbsp oil and the chestnut mushrooms, Fry for a few minutes.
  3. Add the rice and fry until the grains turn opaque (a few minutes).
  4. Add the spices, curry leaves and 2 mugs of water and salt to taste. Bring to a simmer and cook gently for 20 mins or until all the water is absorbed. Cover and leave to stand for ten minutes.
  5. Whilst the Pilau is cooking add a tbsp of oil to a separate pan and fry the finely sliced onion until golden. Drain on kitchen paper and leave to crisp up.
  6. When the pilau is nearly ready add 1 tbsp of oil to a second pan and fry the chanterelle mushrooms (if using) for a few minutes. Add to the pilau.
  7. Fluff up the grains of rice in the pilau with a fork before serving. Sprinkle with the crispy onions.

20170923_153602.jpg

20170923_153616.jpg

Last edited:
1 large onion finely chopped
1/2 a large onion thinly sliced
I assume it's red onion for the latter, and the former doesn't matter as much (a crispy yellow onion would still taste good, but wouldn't look as nice). BTW, I saw this and I wondered, What's the difference between a pilau and a pilaf? Then, I looked it up and found out they were different names for the same thing. Whatever you call it, this looks delicious.

I assume it's red onion for the latter, and the former doesn't matter as much (a crispy yellow onion would still taste good, but wouldn't look as nice). BTW, I saw this and I wondered, What's the difference between a pilau and a pilaf? Then, I looked it up and found out they were different names for the same thing. Whatever you call it, this looks delicious.

Yes, I used red onion for the crispy onion. I will amend the recipe! I always though 'Pilaf' was Middle Eastern and 'Pilau' was Asian Indian. Both are similar in concept but use slightly different spices. But that is just what I think and I haven't googled!

The thing which impressed me was a tip I saw on TV from Jamie Oliver - adding whole cloves to rice whilst its cooking. He used the cloves in boiled rice. They really do add a great flavour.

I always though 'Pilaf' was Middle Eastern and 'Pilau' was Asian Indian.

To quote Wikipedia "The English term pilaf is borrowed directly from the Turkish pilav, which in turn comes from Persian polow (پلو), Hindi pulāo, from Sanskrit pulāka (meaning "a ball of rice"), which in turn, is probably of Dravidian origin. The English spelling is influenced by the Modern Greek pilafi (πιλάφι), which comes from the Turkish pilav." My old Indian cookery book certainly uses "pulao", and some Indian websites use "pulav" (Wiki lists several alternative spellings, but not that one!). See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilaf

It refers to the way the rice is cooked, not the ingredients. Some are cooked on the stove top, others in an oven (presumably if one is available).

Back
Top Bottom