My herbs are dead

Puggles

Veteran
Local time
7:43 PM
I never really expected them to last as long as they did, (Holy crap my basil plants quadrupled in size). I assumed it's too cold for them to grow, yet I googled all the herbs, (oregano, basil, rosemary, and thyme) and it said that they are "cold weather herbs". I'm confused. Do you have to do something special for them in the winter? Feed them hot chocolate and knit them sweaters?

Rosemary is definitely hardy, but I'm not sure about the others, especially the basil and thyme. I live in South Florida so we rarely have to worry about outside plants, but we always covered basil and thyme when it was going to get down around freezing. Rosemary, oregano, mint and the like go crazy here and will take over.

Basil will die in the winter, and not come back. You have to plant it every year.

Rosemary and oregano have survived buried in snow and ice in my garden. They survive the heat of Texas, too. They are very tough.

Thyme may or may not make it though the winter, depending on how harsh the winter is. Mine makes it through most winters, but the 'Big Freeze" of 2021 killed it. 2021 Texas power crisis - Wikipedia

The rosemary, oregano and thyme don't need anything special. Just don't let them dry out. They will be somewhat dormant, so normal rain/snow should be enough water for them. If you go more than a week without rain or snow, hose them down a bit.

After the last freeze in the Spring, give them some plant food (fertilizer for gardens). I like Miracle Grow slow release plant food.

CD

I cover mine before the first freeze, and uncover as needed during the day, until it’s just too cold, then they stay covered all winter. I use some kind of porous/breathable material I got from Lowe’s, sort of like landscape fabric.

Basil always dies. My rosemary always dies. Thyme, sage, oregano, and chives seem to be immortal.

I cover mine before the first freeze, and uncover as needed during the day, until it’s just too cold, then they stay covered all winter. I use some kind of porous/breathable material I got from Lowe’s, sort of like landscape fabric.

Basil always dies. My rosemary always dies. Thyme, sage, oregano, and chives seem to be immortal.
Soooooo..... I was right, you knit sweaters for your plants?

I planted herbs that a journo said had survived her complete neglect and a relatively harsh winter.
Rosemary, Corriander, Thyme and Chives. They are all somehow still alive and thriving. Saving a me a pretty penny on buying silly little wilted packets of herbs too 😆

I tried growing cilantro, but it didn't survive the first summer.

CD

I tried growing cilantro, but it didn't survive the first summer.

CD
I think that sometimes it depends on the individual plant, some are just far more robust than others. I planted three Thyme plants, two fairly quickly died and the third hasn’t stopped growing.

I find the potted basil I buy from the supermarket mostly has a death wish but to my astonishment one I bought in august is still growing. Problem is I don‘t like to use it now because I’m curious to see how long it lasts, so I had to purchase a second much droopier looking specimen to satisfy my curiosity 😆

I find the potted basil I buy from the supermarket mostly has a death wish but to my astonishment one I bought in august is still growing. Problem is I don‘t like to use it now because I’m curious to see how long it lasts, so I had to purchase a second much droopier looking specimen to satisfy my curiosity 😆

Same sort of thing. I've repotted basil from the supermarket and its gone bonkers in the past. This year (in August) I stuck a little cutting from a supermarket basil plant in a shot glass (with water). It was only because I picked too much off for my needs. But lo and behold it grew roots. So I then potted it on and its still going on the kitchen window sill.

So, If I get more planted herbs and just keep them on the window sill, will that still work, or is it not as good as being outside (minus the cold weather)?

So, If I get more planted herbs and just keep them on the window sill, will that still work, or is it not as good as being outside (minus the cold weather)?
I never have luck with them inside, which is why I ended up growing them outside.

Back
Top Bottom