My herbs are dead

So, If I get more planted herbs and just keep them on the window sill, will that still work, or is it not as good as being outside (minus the cold weather)?
I have basil in the window now. I've also grown microgreens in the window. Needs to be in a sunny exposure though since you have shorter days than we do.

So, If I get more planted herbs and just keep them on the window sill, will that still work, or is it not as good as being outside (minus the cold weather)?

I keep a basil plant in my South facing kitchen window at all times, all year long. Just replant them in a larger pot that what they come in, so the roots have plenty of room to grow. The pot I use is plastic, and about ten inches tall by 7 inches wide at the top.

CD

Read the tags on plants or the descriptions on seed packs. Annual does not mean that the plant will live a year. It will last a season. Two examples are dill and basil. In south Louisiana dill and basil will bolt - flower and go to seed, in a matter of weeks. I plant a couple of plants each and plant a couple of seeds in the pot at the same time. I use large pots 14" - 16" for each plant. The pot can accommodate multiple seedlings.
Rosemary and thyme are perineal in my climate. Your winters are very harsh. You will probably need to move your herbs inside in a south or west facing window over winter. I don't see trying to grow herbs on a windowsill. They really need larger pots to flourish.
Anyone in the U.S. who wants to garden needs to make your County Agent your best friend. Every state has an Ag Center University. Every County has an Ag Agent and a Horticulture Agent. The Horticulture Agent works with home gardeners. Get to know your agent and ask for advice.
The service is free to you.

Read the tags on plants or the descriptions on seed packs. Annual does not mean that the plant will live a year. It will last a season. Two examples are dill and basil. In south Louisiana dill and basil will bolt - flower and go to seed, in a matter of weeks. I plant a couple of plants each and plant a couple of seeds in the pot at the same time. I use large pots 14" - 16" for each plant. The pot can accommodate multiple seedlings.
Rosemary and thyme are perineal in my climate. Your winters are very harsh. You will probably need to move your herbs inside in a south or west facing window over winter. I don't see trying to grow herbs on a windowsill. They really need larger pots to flourish.
Anyone in the U.S. who wants to garden needs to make your County Agent your best friend. Every state has an Ag Center University. Every County has an Ag Agent and a Horticulture Agent. The Horticulture Agent works with home gardeners. Get to know your agent and ask for advice.
The service is free to you.

When my basil starts to flower, I cut the flowering tops off so they can't go to seed. That extends the life of the plant. In the end, winter is going to kill it, but I get some extra leaf growth for the season.

I have also been growing basil in my South facing kitchen window for years. I put it in a pot that is about 6 inches at the bottom, 8 inches at the top, and 10 inches tall. I can get a good 6 months from a plant, depending on how much basil I use.

Texas A&M University has a agricultural unit in the town just South of me. They will do soil analysis for home yards and gardens. I haven't had one done in a long time, but I do soil amendments based on their findings.

CD

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom