National Dishes.

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
2:51 AM
A post by @vizardika prompted me to post this.

What do you consider are the National Dishes of the country where you were born or the country where you now reside?

I find this a curious one. For example in Britain at one time I would suspect it would be fish n chips or roast beef now I wouldn't be surprised if more curry was eaten than beef [we do have some of the finest curry houses in the world] and the abysmal fried "things" that pass for fish n chips in many cases are their own downfall. I would imagine that a similar situation is occurring in other countries/areas so this should be interesting - what is the real national dish now not the stereotype from years ago.

Each country has dishes are like a visiting card of the country. We in Latvia is rye bread, gray peas stewed sauerkraut and more. In England there are the same dishes. I would like to find out what.

Each country has dishes are like a visiting card of the country. We in Latvia is rye bread, gray peas stewed sauerkraut and more. In England there are the same dishes. I would like to find out what.
I'm interested in gray peas. Are they dried peas? In the UK 'mushy peas' are a sort of national dish. @Yorky makes his own. You can buy them in tins quite cheaply. I wonder if they are anything like gray peas.

images-138.jpeg
images-139.jpeg

Since the US is so big we don't really have a national food.
Now here in Texas, the big 2 are barbecue brisket: preferably smoked in a barrel shaped pit over mesquite wood, and chili with NO beans. Now many times a pot of pinto beans will be served along side the chili. In separate bowls. Oh and must not forget the cornbread.

Since the US is so big we don't really have a national food.
Now here in Texas, the big 2 are barbecue brisket: preferably smoked in a barrel shaped pit over mesquite wood, and chili with NO beans. Now many times a pot of pinto beans will be served along side the chili. In separate bowls. Oh and must not forget the cornbread.
I think cornbread must be a national food for Texas! Why no beans in the chilli?

I think cornbread must be a national food for Texas! Why no beans in the chilli?
They don't belong there and ruin the flavor. No clue actually but if you want to win a cook off in Texas don't add beans. You can win chili cook offs in Michigan with beans.

Um. good question.
Tattie scones, clottie, Glasgow had a peculiarity of square sausage (or at least did have), haggis goes without saying... what else? oatcakes? not of the Staffordshire variety of course but... which reminds me, I could make some Staffordshire oatcakes, I have fresh yeast! there's an idea for next week. curry in staffs oatcakes! yummy....

I can't think of anything else for Scotland at the moment. I'll have to work on it.
Other than porridge that is.

Why no beans in the chilli?

When I first experimented with cooking chili (early 80s), I did include kidley beans (well cooked). My son would pick out the beans and leave them on the plate so I stopped including them. I found the lack of beans was an improvement and have never included then since.

When I first experimented with cooking chili (early 80s), I did include kidley beans (well cooked). My son would pick out the beans and leave them on the plate so I stopped including them. I found the lack of beans was an improvement and have never included then since.
I use black beans which have a marvellous smoky flavour , which I think adds to the flavour. But really, chilli is not just one recipe. There are so many variants.

I use black beans which have a marvellous smoky flavour , which I think adds to the flavour. But really, chilli is not just one recipe. There are so many variants.
I have a "Chili Lover's cookbook."
I have had chili-no flavor, chili good and chili have a beer to get the fire out.
If I remember correctly the summer I was 15, Red Adair was a guest judge at the chili cookoff. At least I think it was that year. I know he judged one year because I had to go meet him. (not my idea).
That was the year of everyone made super hot chili.
Red was and his company still is known for putting out oil well fires.
Too many varieties of chili.
Oh and your black beans in chili does sound good.
Kidney beans are just wrong in chili. They were probably originally put in as a meat stretcher.

I have a "Chili Lover's cookbook."
I have had chili-no flavor, chili good and chili have a beer to get the fire out.
If I remember correctly the summer I was 15, Red Adair was a guest judge at the chili cookoff. At least I think it was that year. I know he judged one year because I had to go meet him. (not my idea).
That was the year of everyone made super hot chili.
Red was and his company still is known for putting out oil well fires.
Too many varieties of chili.
Oh and your black beans in chili does sound good.
Kidney beans are just wrong in chili. They were probably originally put in as a meat stretcher.

Good story! I might make the black bean chilli tomorrow so I'll post it up if I do. Right now I'm up to my ears in rhubarb!

Back
Top Bottom