National Dishes.

I would say for England, at least, a good Sunday roast would be high on the list - though not necessarily beef these days - followed by a good curry. I wouldn't count fish and chips as I can't eat the fish and most chip shop chips these days are pretty abysmal.

I like a Sunday roast but not every Sunday. Tomorrow we are having pork chops.

Our local changed hands a few years ago and is way below the standard of what it used to be. Finding a decent chippy around here isn't easy although maybe I am just being picky.
One of our local fish and chip shops has won awards, but I can't risk the chips possibly being cooked in the same oil or touching the fish or a scoop used for fish because of my allergy to fish. In fact I can't even walk past the place without feeling quite ill.

My brother used to be the chef in a restaurant pub and Sundays and the Sunday roast was the busiest day and dish. They even do it in a half size fit the older generation who can't face a huge plate piled high. My grandfather used to have it all the time (as did both of my grandmothers). It wasn't aimed at children, just people who didn't want to see food go to waste and the waist line go south!
Many years ago on holiday I went into a restaurant with my Mum and Dad, and my Mum left half her meal. The waitress said they should have ordered a child's portion. It didn't go to waste, though. Mum asked for a doggie bag as the dog was in the car, and the waitress did no more but to go back into the kitchen and bring back a great big bag of leftovers (the restaurant was closing in a few minutes). Another time, I took my then 2 year old daughter to a restaurant which did a children's meal. There was no choice - the children's meal was a couple of spoonfuls of whatever was on the menu that night (excluding anything with alcohol in it :happy:) at under half the price of the cheapest item on the menu. She had more than me :(

I love lamb, marinated, garlic and rosemary pushed into scores in the flesh theb cooked for a good few hours on gas mark bu**er all so that it just falls apart :hungry: :hyper:
I love lamb with garlic and lemon and lots of onion and mushrooms, but today's is just plain roast lamb done at gas mark 4 equivalent. It just falls apart too and absolutely melts in your mouth :hungry::hyper:

The last leg of lamb that I bought I only managed to get 5 portions of Rogan Josh (Kashmiri Red Lamb Stew) out of it. Wasn't a large leg.

rogan josh.jpg

The last leg of lamb that I bought I only managed to get 5 portions of Rogan Josh (Kashmiri Red Lamb Stew) out of it. Wasn't a large leg.

Supermarket was doing a silly price offer on it; otherwise I wouldn't have bought a whole leg. It did surprise me, though, how big it actually was.

Back
Top Bottom