Noisy restaurants

My hearing aids were tweaked to recognise speech rather than traffic noise etc. Going into a noisy restaurant (or workplace) is a nightmare. If I want to listen to music, I do it at home with a decent set of stereo headphones. I do like classical music, and some of it is extremely difficult to listen to even with the volume turned up otherwise.

Our favorite restaurants are quiet with subtle background music. We do enjoy Bonefish Grill - a nice chain restaurant. We dine early and avoid the volume of later dining. Kind of funny - the early diners are like us - seniors. The younger, louder crowd shows up later. By the time we are finishing our meal there is a noticeable increase in the noise level compared to when we began our meal.

Our Grandchildren love Buffalo Wild Wings. We took them there one time. The noise was excruciating. I had to leave - and will never return.

I am sensitive to noise and loud voices. George has a deep, resonant voice. He can get loud without intending to or realizing that he is speaking loudly. We have a sign language. When he sees me pass my hand across my ear he knows he is speaking too loud and tones down the volume.

To me dining out is an opportunity for conversation. Atmosphere is as important as the food.

Back
Top Bottom