One pot wonders?

cupcakechef

Veteran
Local time
10:03 AM
Japan (expat by way of Australia and USA)
Dishes are my nemesis...the last thing I want is my kitchen looking like this...

Dirty-dishes.jpg

I use my slow cooker quite a bit, but I was wondering if anyone had recipes for stove top one pot dishes that keep cleanup to a minimum but are still full of flavor, rather than slow cooker things.

Please feel free to share your brilliance with me!

I put my rosemary chicken in a slow cooker. The ingredients are quite easy to get and you don't have to prep long. It involves rosemary, thyme, butter and salt and pepper it's super easy! Just clean your chicken and put on this rub and you can use the juices afterwards to make a gravy. Stuffing the chicken with fried rice also adds to the flavor factor.

Can't beat a good stew or casserole. Cook slowly all day. One pot. Delicious, especially in the cold weather. Chicken, pork, lamb or beef. Yummy

I do not have the patience to cook and wait longer hours because of the slow cooking thing. I am fond of eating them do not get me wrong but if I were the one to cook them then I would have to pass. This lead me to find the Japanese way of cooking using one pot which is a rice cooker and in it goes the rest of the ingredients. Sorry I am still looking for my bookmark of the site.

Pelau is the single most one pot meal I cook and I don't cook it that often. It's because I really like sauce or gravy and obviously this one pot meal doesn't call for any. In my country, it's a rice cook up that is prepared with any meat. I prefer it with chicken. Here is a recipe I found from my island but I don't exactly follow a recipe. I do what I please with the same basic idea.
http://loopbarbados.com/loop-blog/cooking-bajan-style-pelau

Last edited:
I like to just mix beef strips, diced potatoes, mushrooms, and soy sauce. All in one pot, only other dishes you need are a knife and a cutting board :laugh: also butter chicken is always a winner for me (and then serve over rice)

One tray meals !chicken roast potatoes and roasted root veg all the same tray put on at different times ,limited washing up and easy to do

Pelau is the single most one pot meal I cook and I don't cook it that often. It's because I really like sauce or gravy and obviously this one pot meals don't call for any. In my country, it's a rice cook up that is prepared with any meat. I prefer it with chicken. Here is a recipe I found from my island but I don't exactly follow a recipe. I do what I please with the same basic idea.
http://loopbarbados.com/loop-blog/cooking-bajan-style-pelau

Just checked out the recipe (thanks for sharing the link!) and it sounds delicious!
I'll have to research more about exactly what Bajan seasoning is, but I think it is something that would be popular with my husband too - all the ingredients are things he likes. Definitely makes life easier when that's the case!

Dishes are my nemesis...the last thing I want is my kitchen looking like this...

Dirty-dishes.jpg

I use my slow cooker quite a bit, but I was wondering if anyone had recipes for stove top one pot dishes that keep cleanup to a minimum but are still full of flavor, rather than slow cooker things.

Please feel free to share your brilliance with me!

Sign up for the Betty Crocker newsletter. They send out a number of one dish recipes.. Also, sign up online for a slow cooker newsletter or get on an email list. You will find plenty of things you can make in your slow cooker and avoid the dish nightmare. FYI since my dishwasher is on the fritz, my sink looks a bit like that right now...sigh!

Casseroles are my favorite one dish wonders, except I normally use 2 dishes to make mine. A bowl to mix all the ingredients together, and then the casserole dish itself to bake it in. I make a mean hash brown casserole for dinner sometimes and my family really enjoys it.

Now that it's fall, I can enjoy slow roasting stuff more, without worrying about it heating up the house too much for too long.

Roasted pork and kielbasa (or smoked sausage) in sauerkraut is a favorite of mine. Especially when we let it slow cook on real low for a really long time until the meat is incredibly tender and the sauerkraut has started to brown and caramelize. I will typically strain and rinse the kraut since most members of my household don't care for it being too sour. But if we have some beer around (preferably Yuengling if possible) I'll add some of that in as well. Occasionally I will throw some peeled and quartered potatoes in as well. Otherwise I will steam them on the side and toss in butter to serve along with everything else.

You may also wish to check out Martha Stewart's popular "wonderpot" recipe for one pot pasta. More specifically the ratios of pasta to water are all you really need to focus on, otherwise the rest of the recipe can be customized to your liking. Basically you're just putting enough liquid in the pan to cook the pasta then reduce down into a sauce. No need to strain the pasta and the extra starch released from it into the liquid is used to help thicken the sauce.

Put some chicken joints into a roasting tray with a few sliced peppers mushrooms onion small potatoes etc [very flexible this], sprinkle with oil of choice and a little salt / pepper. pop into oven for 1 hour [till cooked] and that's it. I suppose if you REALLY want to cut out the washing up you could even eat it from the roasting tin !

Our menu for tonight is chicken TINOLA. It is a dish native to Metro Manila and nearby provinces. The ingredients are simple - chicken, ginger, garlic, onion, fish sauce, papaya, moringa leaves or pepper leaves. Sautee the crushed garlic, minced onion and crushed ginger in a pot before mixing the fish sauce and the chicken meat. We usually cook 1 whole chicken that is chopped in parts. When the chicken looks cooked, put in some water and check the taste. Add more fish sauce if necessary or salt if you prefer it and mix the chopped papaya. After boiling for 3 minutes, toss in the moringa leaves and simmer for 1 to 2 miinutes. There, it is ready for serving.

I like chicken thighs baked in a dish with mini chorizo, parboiled new potatoes, peppers, garlic,smoked paprika and good olive oil for Spanish style chicken.

Back
Top Bottom