One pot wonders?

A simple risotto - absolutely no contest. Soften the onions in butter, turn the rice in the onion/butter mixture, add finely chopped mushrooms and stir it round again, then add two cups (or mugs or whatever) of stock for each cup of rice a little at a time and keep stirring as you cook it. You can throw in any cooked meat leftovers you have to heat through at the end, or you can simply serve it and top it with good Parmesan. Good, simple, plain food and a clean cooker!

A simple risotto - absolutely no contest. Soften the onions in butter, turn the rice in the onion/butter mixture, add finely chopped mushrooms and stir it round again, then add two cups (or mugs or whatever) of stock for each cup of rice a little at a time and keep stirring as you cook it. You can throw in any cooked meat leftovers you have to heat through at the end, or you can simply serve it and top it with good Parmesan. Good, simple, plain food and a clean cooker!
Risotto is lovely but actually quite difficult to get to perfection. I noticed that your recipe doesn't add white wine? It makes a huge flavour difference to add two small wine glasses of white wine or vermouth once the rice has become slightly translucent in the butter. Add the vermouth or wine and keep stirring — it will smell fantastic. Any harsh alcohol flavours will evaporate and leave the rice with a tasty essence. Allow the vermouth to cook into the rice before adding any stock.

I am a neat freak, but love cooking. The mess of pots and dishes drive me insane causing me to stop and clean up in between so I don't have a panic attack that a tornado has just hit my kitchen. Therefore, I try to cook one pot meals quite often. A slow cooker is a great way to do this. Another way is Flavorway cooking vessel. This was actually given to me as a gift, from one of those as seen on TV stores. It allows you to cook your meat and vegetables all at once in one place. The added benefit is that it sits on your counter and saves you on gas and energy.

I also will usually use my wok or roast pan to cook meals like chicken with roasted potatoes and veg, or stir fry dishes.

I am glad this thread resurfaced. I've been cooking on mornings as is true even now and find that cooking all these dishes makes me 'hot and sweaty' literally and figuratively. A few one pot meals might save me some time and energy. Pelau here we come.

A few years ago we went on a self catering holiday on a Greek island. The "self catering" equipment consisted of a single hob, so over the course of a fortnight we became quite skilled in one pot cooking. It's amazing what you can turn out with limited local ingredients, usually onion, tomato, garlic, courgette, aubergine base with added prawns/chicken/fish and local herbs. And do healthy ☺

I cook 'one pot' a lot. Its a good way to go when I'm catering for people who eat at different times! Perhaps I'll post a recipe or two...

Back
Top Bottom