Organically grown food no healthier than regularly grown food!

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
10:21 PM
Planning on going to a store that strictly sells organically grown foods like Whole Foods? or the organic section in your favorite supermarket?

Well, you're probably in for a surprise, because organically grown food has no more healthful benefits than regularly
grown foods! And besides, organically grown food is astronomically expensive!

In this day and age where the cost of living has skyrocketed, wages don't seem to rise and where recipients on fixed incomes from the Gov't simply can't afford to buy such expensive produce & meats for their families, it is just a sad state of affairs the way that these stores are ripping people off three ways to Sunday, claiming that if they buy such
garbage, they'd be more healthier than they are now!

I'll stick with regularly grown food. I've been eating it all these years, so why should I change now? :eek:

I heard this as well. There was a programme on not that long ago that said organically grown food is no better than foods grown with pesticides and herbicides sprayed on them, and when you consider the cost, I won't bother.

I heard this as well. There was a programme on not that long ago that said organically grown food is no better than foods grown with pesticides and herbicides sprayed on them, and when you consider the cost, I won't bother.

I'm one of the ones on a fixed income, getting income from the Gov't, so I don't even worry about whether I'd be healthier from believing such hogwash!

It would be nice if you would back up your claims with a link, it's not helping anyone if we can't see from a reputable source that it's true or how it's true, or know where to start for more detail and information. :)

Also some food is actually worse for you than you realise, and many doctors and even the farmers who grown them won't eat them. If you look at that link it's for organic and regular alike, and should help if you want more info or details, workarounds etc :).

The trouble is even the so called experts can't agree. One day x will be bad for you and two months later someone else will say, we were wrong, its now great for you. You can't win. its all about eating as best as you can, and as fresh as you can.

People buy organic because they know that vegetables have not been covered in nasty chemicals which affect the enviroment and could harm us and our children in the long term.

Organic vegetables and fruit can have more taste when grown in better soil and more natural conditions. Organic meats might also taste better because of the animal's diet.

By saying "no healthier" you just mean that it's no more nutritious. Organically grown food is always going to be a better choice if you care about the impact of harmful agricultural chemicals .

It would be nice if you would back up your claims with a link, it's not helping anyone if we can't see from a reputable source that it's true or how it's true, or know where to start for more detail and information. :)

Also some food is actually worse for you than you realise, and many doctors and even the farmers who grown them won't eat them. If you look at that link it's for organic and regular alike, and should help if you want more info or details, workarounds etc :).

Ask and you shall receive.

But there is no real solution as to whether it is true or not. Only to say that organically grown food may spoil quicker than regularly grown, simply because it is not chemically treated during the farm growing process. There IS however, what growers might call s free-range chicken - meaning that it is supposed to be raise on all natural feedings, not cereals, fillers or garbage or slop that a pig would eat.

Still, I debunk that so-called theory that it is more healthier than regularly grown food. And yes, like I said above, it is astronomically expensive! :wink:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...thy-eating/in-depth/organic-food/art-20043880

Actually you reminded me of a video I watched on this....

That article is really good too. It's like Welsh Dragon said....you can't win. It's better to just try to eat as good as you can really and be healthy. Your body will let you know if it doesn't like something after all :wink:.

Ask and you shall receive.

But there is no real solution as to whether it is true or not. Only to say that organically grown food may spoil quicker than regularly grown, simply because it is not chemically treated during the farm growing process. There IS however, what growers might call s free-range chicken - meaning that it is supposed to be raise on all natural feedings, not cereals, fillers or garbage or slop that a pig would eat.

Still, I debunk that so-called theory that it is more healthier than regularly grown food. And yes, like I said above, it is astronomically expensive! :wink:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...thy-eating/in-depth/organic-food/art-20043880

This is an old article. Plus the USDA isn't on the side of the consumer. They are heavily influenced by Big Business. Conventional or non-organic food is cheaper because those farmers are heavily subsidized (in the US). Without those subsidies, the prices would be nearly the same. Organic farmers are not on the same footing as conventional farmers.

Also, there are many organic certifying agencies. Each agency has its standards. The state of California has higher standards than the USDA. I believe Washington state does too. I really don't trust anything labeled organic by the USDA. I buy my produce locally.

A study was released this year that found significant differences between organic and non-organic food. It was the largest study of its kind. It was also done by an international team of experts. An international study gives the results more credence..at least for me especially since the USDA can be heavily influenced.

http://blog.journals.cambridge.org/...erences-between-organic-and-non-organic-food/

I am trying to eat fresh foods and stay away from anything processed, not because I think it is any better, but because Mr WD has very high blood pressure, and when you look on the sides, of tins or packets of stuff, its horrendous just how much salt and sugar these things contain. Even a tin of baked beans has a large amount of salt,, so reading labels has now become his favourate pasttime.of course it now takes twice as long to do the shopping as he is reading every single label on everything.

This is an old article. Plus the USDA isn't on the side of the consumer. They are heavily influenced by Big Business. Conventional or non-organic food is cheaper because those farmers are heavily subsidized (in the US). Without those subsidies, the prices would be nearly the same. Organic farmers are not on the same footing as conventional farmers.

Also, there are many organic certifying agencies. Each agency has its standards. The state of California has higher standards than the USDA. I believe Washington state does too. I really don't trust anything labeled organic by the USDA. I buy my produce locally.

A study was released this year that found significant differences between organic and non-organic food. It was the largest study of its kind. It was also done by an international team of experts. An international study gives the results more credence..at least for me especially since the USDA can be heavily influenced.

http://blog.journals.cambridge.org/2014/07/new-study-finds-significant-differences-between-organic-and-non-organic-food/

That is part of why I don't buy the theory that organic food is better.

I just can't afford to buy it anyway, so I don't even sweat it.

That is part of why I don't buy the theory that organic food is better.

I just can't afford to buy it anyway, so I don't even sweat it.

I can understand not being able to afford to buy organic food. But that doesn't mean that it's not better.

I don't buy all organic. There is a yearly list that states the 12 dirtiest fruits and vegetables. I buy the organic version for anything that's one that list. There's also a 12 cleanest list too.

I'm happy with regularly grown foods. Hell, I've been eating it since I was a baby. :wink:

I can understand not being able to afford to buy organic food. But that doesn't mean that it's not better.

I don't buy all organic. There is a yearly list that states the 12 dirtiest fruits and vegetables. I buy the organic version for anything that's one that list. There's also a 12 cleanest list too.

You might want to be careful because sometimes those foods are worse for you, and sometimes they are the same. If you scroll up to my first response you'll see a link which outlines organic food which is dangerous. Also you might want to watch the video because organic is basically the same. There are rules and regulations on what can be on and used in our fruit and veggies and those are usually pretty good. That said if you're in America I would highly consider scrubbing the crap out of your food because America uses pesticides that even Aus and Europe have banned as being extremely unhealthy and toxic. So be careful but don't assume organic is any better, because where you are they may be just as bad or even worse :(.

The only organic my family will eat is what comes from my father in laws garden. It's FREE and is a proud sprout from the hard labor put into the garden. Otherwise, I buy fresh fruits & veggies from with the farmers market or the store. I don't buy into this organic is more healthier then other veggies because everyday its something that will hurt you, etc.

Back
Top Bottom