Organically grown food no healthier than regularly grown food!

It would be nice if you would back up your claims with a link, it's not helping anyone if we can't see from a reputable source that it's true or how it's true, or know where to start for more detail and information. :)

Also some food is actually worse for you than you realise, and many doctors and even the farmers who grown them won't eat them. If you look at that link it's for organic and regular alike, and should help if you want more info or details, workarounds etc :).
Try http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...s-than-conventionally-grown-food-201209055264

A thing many will never consider is how the "organic" foods are actually grown. Direct application of a man made substance fertilizer/weedkiller would render it non-organic. Now consider "natural" fertilizers. What were the animals that produced that fed on?

If it has come out of a pit, in almost liquid form, then the animals will have been fed on non organic food.
Silage, whether it be the wrapped bale sort or from a silage pit. Isn't considered organic. Artificial nitrogen fertilizer will have been used, to help get the two, possible three cuts per year. The pit version is treated with chemicals, before covering & allowing it time to finish the process. Baled silage is wrapped to allow the same process to occur in a man-made, sealed enviroment to achieve similar results.

Given that often the fertilizer used is "natural", what the animal have been fed being non-organic. Is the end product "organic"?

I am trying to eat fresh foods and stay away from anything processed, not because I think it is any better, but because Mr WD has very high blood pressure, and when you look on the sides, of tins or packets of stuff, its horrendous just how much salt and sugar these things contain. Even a tin of baked beans has a large amount of salt,, so reading labels has now become his favourate pasttime.of course it now takes twice as long to do the shopping as he is reading every single label on everything.
See: http://umaine.edu/publications/4059e/

You might want to be careful because sometimes those foods are worse for you, and sometimes they are the same. If you scroll up to my first response you'll see a link which outlines organic food which is dangerous. Also you might want to watch the video because organic is basically the same. There are rules and regulations on what can be on and used in our fruit and veggies and those are usually pretty good. That said if you're in America I would highly consider scrubbing the crap out of your food because America uses pesticides that even Aus and Europe have banned as being extremely unhealthy and toxic. So be careful but don't assume organic is any better, because where you are they may be just as bad or even worse :(.

I clean all my fruits and vegetables even the organic ones.

I did read the article in the link you provided. No item on the list was an organic fruit or vegetable. Two of the seven items on the list were conventional (non-organic) food. Both of the items, apples and potatoes) are on the 12 Dirtiest List. I also don't eat the other items on the list. I buy organic to avoid GMO soy and farmed fish.Most of the soy grown in the US (around 98%) is GMO.

One thing we can agree on is that the food chain in the US is doused with pesticides. There's probably no food product that isn't touched by GMOs. Organic produce might not be a big issue outside the US. I do know that Mosanto is working hard to get their GMO seeds introduced worldwide.

Yes but the danger is not always on the outside, sometimes it's on the inside! These fruits and veg absorb the pesticides and chemicals around them. It's like with radiation, you can't wash radiation off a plant that has grown in radioactive water. I really wish the US would rethink its pesticide laws to be more like Europe and Aus, for the bees sake if not ours (which kind of works out to be the same thing anyway ha ha).

I'm not sure I have an issue with GMO foods to be honest. Bananas are actually GMO in a way - we created them ourselves. We hand bred them to not have seeds and as a result they can only be grown from cuttings....so yeah. Check out this video:

I've heard from some of my friends that organic food has more nutrients because they are grown in a traditional way, but I didn't really research it any further because it's not like I would have a choice in it anyway. I would probably be able to buy organic for some food products but I think buying regular produce is unavoidable for me.

I think you will always be able to find a particular piece of research that will back up one claim or the other - but it doesn't necessarily render the other argument 'wrong'. For example, if you are happy eating non-organic food, then go ahead, and vice versa. Each to their own I guess. Personally, I will always choose organic whether or not there are any health benefits. Whichever you choose, the one thing that can't be ignored is that pesticides and herbicides damage and/or kill our entire eco-system - right from the tiniest little bugs (who all have important roles to play in keeping things balanced) all the way up the food chain to us. Now, you only have to read some of the bad stuff on Monsanto to know how much damage they've done to soil, plants, seeds etc - that is enough alone to keep me away from non organic and GMO rubbish for life.

Back
Top Bottom