Oven Broken

Pat

Veteran
Local time
9:37 PM
I like to bake cookies and muffins instead of purchasing snacks I make my own.

The oven stopped working a few weeks back and I have come to realize how much I use the oven during the week to not only bake but cook the meals during the week. Plan meals without a working oven is hard work.

I do hope this oven will be fixed soon, I may start buying more take out because I am spending too much time cooking on the stove top, I usually bake meat in the oven. I have used the slow cooker, the stove top and the little toaster oven.

That happened to me several months ago. It was dreadful, and I didn't have a toaster oven then. I don't use my oven much in summer months, because it just generates too much heat but I am all about using it in the winter. Mine is 10 years old, and I considered purchasing another one, but in the end it ended up being cheaper just to have a repairman come out, although most won't guarantee their work that long.

We do have a microwave and the toaster oven which is so small I can't do very much with it. This stove is about 10 years old also, I would prefer to fix it, but if I have to I will get a new stove, soon.

Ugh, sorry to hear about your oven. My stove is vintage, and not in a good way. The thing is falling apart, but I haven't bothered to mention it to the landlady, since she is a miser and takes the cheap way out of everything she does at this house. I am sure she'd just replace it with something equally as bad, and the devil I know is better than the unknown. I hope you're able to fix or replace it soon. It's often not until we are forced to pay more attention, that we realize just how much we rely on certain appliances and other items.

I like to try and repair things on my own but the stove is above my pay grade as they say on tv. I looked at a Youtube video showing the things to do to test the bottom coils and that was enough for me to know I have to call a repair person.

It is true you don't know how much you use something until it is broken.

Ugh, sorry to hear about your oven. My stove is vintage, and not in a good way. The thing is falling apart, but I haven't bothered to mention it to the landlady, since she is a miser and takes the cheap way out of everything she does at this house. I am sure she'd just replace it with something equally as bad, and the devil I know is better than the unknown. I hope you're able to fix or replace it soon. It's often not until we are forced to pay more attention, that we realize just how much we rely on certain appliances and other items.
If it's gas, take no chances!
A failure in one part can often be a sign of further failures to follow.

Sorry to hear about your stove dying on you. Though before paying someone to repair it, I would suggest checking out what that would cost vs. just buying a new oven. In other words, if the repair guy is going to charge you $100+ to fix it, and you could get a new stove for like $400 - personally I would rather just put that money towards a new stove instead. Who's to say your current stove won't break again at some point down the road?

You can actually make many meals in a toaster oven, even if it's a smaller model. Can you at least fit an 8" glass baking dish into it? I have a smaller Oster toaster oven which is just big enough for an 8" dish, and I've made quite a few meals in it that I would normally cook in a regular sized oven. I've made stuff like casseroles in it, stuffed peppers, roasted chicken, and other meals.

I am quietly worried about mine going completely bad on me as the top half has been faulty for about a year or more. I've been making do with the bottom section. I don't wan to know what it's going to be like if it crashes completely.

I hope you find a solution and this might be a good time to experiment with some other approaches to cooking.

I have pulled out the oven roaster we use to cook the large turkeys in. I did some research online which said it is an oven and works as well as the oven in the stove. I cooked some fish sticks in the toaster oven, they got hot and cooked thru and thru but tasted different and took a long time cooking. The toaster oven is small but seems to work faster than the roaster oven.

Do you have an electric skillet? When my oven was out for a while, I used it to make pizza and a few other things. It is kind of fun to come up with creative alternatives to your oven, but I hope you do get it fixed or replaced soon!

When I need an appliance I always check the Sears and Lowes clearance section. You can pick up some really great deals! I have a really nice gas w/convection stove that someone returned because they didn't like the color (white!) that I got for less than half of the new price. It was still under warranty and just like new.

Do you have an electric skillet? When my oven was out for a while, I used it to make pizza and a few other things. It is kind of fun to come up with creative alternatives to your oven, but I hope you do get it fixed or replaced soon!

When I need an appliance I always check the Sears and Lowes clearance section. You can pick up some really great deals! I have a really nice gas w/convection stove that someone returned because they didn't like the color (white!) that I got for less than half of the new price. It was still under warranty and just like new.

Momma Skillets are great ways to reheat pizza too. it crisps the crust back up for ya.

Reactions: Pat
In place of the oven (which is undersized, busted, and not worth fixing) in my rental, I use a larger toaster oven and my electric griddle for most meals and treats. With only one or two people ever in mind for prepared foods, it's easy enough for me to scale back on recipes to make only what will fit in the toaster oven. This will probably come off as sacrilege, but one of my new favorite things is to make cookies on the griddle. If you set the heat just right, and keep a watchful eye over the cookies, they turn out to be crispy-yet-gooey deliciousness and take less time than in the oven! :chef:

I made muffins in the big roaster oven over the weekend. It was different. My big concern with the roaster oven is it gets really hot and sits on a table that makes it a little too high for me to lower items into the pan without being in jeopardy of burning myself.

I do want to make some stove top cornbread, I remember my mother making cornbread on the stove top. I had not thought about making cookies in a skillet, will be giving that a try soon.

This is my daughter's house so I have to wait for her to decide what she wants to do about the oven but she does not do the cooking.

My old electric oven literally went bang about 18 months ago. I got it from a charity shop in 2003 for £10 (complete with gas hob, but I threw that out - didn't fancy using a secondhand gas appliance), and in the instruction booklet was a receipt from 1973 so it must have been quite an early fan oven! I was baking some bread at the time it went bang :( and ended up putting the bread in an even older moulinex grill/rotisserie/toaster to finish it off.

Back
Top Bottom