Pasta machine

badjak

Local time
5:02 PM
Typical me, I'm starting to use mine after the pasta challenge has ended :)

Just thought it would be interesting to know who has one, what brand, and if you actually use it and what for

I dug up my imperia hand cranked machine and gave it a good clean.
I got the fettucini/angel hair attachment and a never used ravioli attachment.

So far, I have used it for lasagne sheets, fettucini and to make cream crackers.

Since it's so easy to use, I'm anticipating using it for plenty other uses, like empanadillas, spring rolls etc, esp since it is now ready for use

Just thought it would be interesting to know who has one, what brand, and if you actually use it and what for

So far, I have used it for lasagne sheets, fettucini and to make cream crackers.

Since it's so easy to use, I'm anticipating using it for plenty other uses, like empanadillas, spring rolls etc, esp since it is now ready for use
Not a pasta machine but I have a Kitchen Aid stand mixer with pasta attachments. I just started using it a few months ago. So far just spaghetti and fettuccine but I'm looking forward to making ravioli in the near future.

We have a hand crank machine that has cutters for spaghetti, linguini, fettucini and a ravioli maker. I've never liked the ravioli maker because filling gets in the edges and it doesn't seal well. We've had it for around 30 years but it is now put away on a high shelf and never used because we got a pasta machine attachment for our Kitchen Aid mixer. The attachment set has a sheeter and has cutters for spaghetti, though it is square and more like chitarra cut pasta, linguini and fettucini. We also have a pasta extruder attachment but it's a PITA to use so it hasn't been used in years.

We also have the orecchiette maker that's hand cranked, which I used for the pasta challenge.

Also have a ravioli mold where you lay a sheet of pasta over a tray with holes in, then you lightly press a mold of half spheres to form indentations in the pasta sheet that you then fill with your ravioli filling, lay another sheet of pasta on top, then use a rolling pan to roll over to seal and cut the ravioli. Frankly, I much prefer to sheet the dough, lay it on a flat surface, use a scoop for the filling, lay another pasta sheet on top, then use my hands to shape the top pasta dough layer around the scoops of filling, then use a rolling cutter to cut and seal the dough.

I agree,
One of these days I will make ravioli, but just make 2 sheets and punch out.
That ravioli attachment I got is going to look like new for a long time to come :)

I think you may have mentioned the cream crackers before in another thread (did you eat hummus with them?), what goes in them, cream and flour (and salt)? Is there a recipe? I am interested in that. I think I remember gifting my FIL some cream crackers I bought from an international market (I think they came from the UK) and he liked them a lot. I have not tasted them but I am sure they must be good!

I have a Phillips pasta machine. I just can't seem to get it right..so, I only take it out when I am I the mood for a plate of sub par pasta..
I found a really good recipe if you are interested. I like that it uses both semolina and flour, it worked well for me.

How to Make Homemade Pasta - Full Recipe & Tips for Success

I hadn't made pasta since the 1980s up until a few months ago, and with this recipe, it's come out perfect every time. And you can do it by hand if you'd rather but I think that the KA mixer and attachments makes it a lot easier.

There are pictures of my last batch here:
What did you cook or eat today (February 2024)?

Oh, just noticed you had already seen that, LOL! Oh, and it freezes well too, so I usually make it and freeze 3 bags full for later.

I think you may have mentioned the cream crackers before in another thread (did you eat hummus with them?), what goes in them, cream and flour (and salt)? Is there a recipe? I am interested in that. I think I remember gifting my FIL some cream crackers I bought from an international market (I think they came from the UK) and he liked them a lot. I have not tasted them but I am sure they must be good!
Yes, I mentioned them :wink:
No cream in them. Apparently the cream in the name comes from creaming (stirring)
I roughly used this recipe and they did come out like I remember the jacob's cream crackers (I first metricised the recipe and then used less water as I thought the dough would be a bit wet for machine)
How To Make Crackers at Home

Yes, I mentioned them :wink:
No cream in them. Apparently the cream in the name comes from creaming (stirring)
I roughly used this recipe and they did come out like I remember the jacob's cream crackers (I first metricised the recipe and then used less water as I thought the dough would be a bit wet for machine)
How To Make Crackers at Home
That's the brand I bought my FIL! Thanks for the recipe.

So you think I should add less water or stick to the recipe?

I would either go by feel or use the recipe.
My flour, humidity & temperatures are different than yours :wink:

I wanted to use the pasta machine to roll out the dough and for that, it shouldn't be too wet (instruction manual is quite pedantic about that)
But you can always throw a ball of dough into the flour and get it drier that way.

I only used 100 gr flour for a trial run

Not a pasta machine but I have a Kitchen Aid stand mixer with pasta attachments. I just started using it a few months ago. So far just spaghetti and fettuccine but I'm looking forward to making ravioli in the near future.
I have all the pasta attachments for my Kitchen-aid and they all work great except for the Ravioli one. It’s messy and really never made nice ones for me. I’d highly recommend checking out the Marcato Ravioli Press. I use one of these and the Ravioli are absolutely perspective and decent sized.

Attachments

• IMG_8462.webp
    173.2 KB · Views: 22
Mine looks like THIS!!! :whistling:
Pasta Machine..jpg

Back
Top Bottom