What did you cook or eat today (February 2024)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I found a pretty good pasta recipe. I've used it a few times. I use my stand mixer to make the pasta. I have a really big Kitchen Aid (I think it's a 5-quart bowl). I have found in the past that if I try to scale the recipe down, my dough hook doesn't grab it as well, so I made a full batch and it came out better. I wrapped the ball in plastic and it's resting right now. It makes a ton of pasta, though, so I will freeze whatever I am not using tonight. I might have to do some reorganizing in my freezer...

How to Make Homemade Pasta - Full Recipe & Tips for Success

I tend to use a little more semolina to all-purpose flour ratio, and then when the dough is mixing and seems too wet, I add more AP (she recommends adding more semolina for sticky dough when mixing).

Mozzarella, feta, peperoni and portobello mushrooms.
20240212_191213.jpg

Some very well aged cashew cheese on sourdough, peanut butter on sourdough and ABC butter on sourdough.

20240213_123533.jpg

I'll follow that with a nectarine and later on a test run of pikelets because the new unopened flour has been attacked by slugs and the jars are empty. I've only got bread flour available so a test is in order.

Even I've heard of and seen on tv. First big chain I believe???

Russ
White Castle, I believe, goes back to the time when we were kids. Them, along with White Tower were in town. I'd always go there for breakfast on weekend mornings!! :whistling:

Husband and I had slightly different meals today, adjusted to each of our preferences.
20240213_114517.jpg

I had leftover lamb merguez & pork tenderloin with garlic mushrooms, roast potatoes and broccoli
20240213_114522.jpg

Husband had garam masala spiced roast chicken thigh with garlic mushrooms and roast sweet potato and broccoli

I tend to use a little more semolina to all-purpose flour ratio,
Bravo for making your own pasta. It's really worthwhile. I made some last weekend, for the first time in years, and the difference is amazing. Why don't I do it more often?
No idea!
Semolina adds a totally different flavour and texture, doesn't it? I started off making a little mountain on the kitchen counter, then putting the eggs in the middle and mixing. Ended up with gooey egg mixture all over the floor. Last week, I put the flour in a large bowl, made a hole in the middle and then mixed the eggs and flour with a fork until the dough was malleable. Only then did I put it on the counter and start kneading it.

So yesterday I opened the fridge and saw abundance.
Abundance of loads of bits and pieces :hyper: :hyper:
First of all, I used up the butt end of a Chinese cabbage to make a wierd version of sauerkraut. The story goes that my son said he wanted hot dogs for dinner - I found some beautiful "Viennese" sausages, but no sauerkraut. Blanched the thinly sliced cabbage , added salt, caraway seeds and just a touch of white wine vinegar. That went just fine with the hot dogs.
Cabbage with Caraway seeds.jpg
Hot dogs.jpg

I pruned the oregano bush on Sunday and had a huge plastic bag full of the herb. Spent an edifying 30 minutes stripping the leaves from the stalks, and now I'm going to have to give loads of oregano away because I've got waaaaaaay too much!
Oregano.jpg

Had two aubergines lurking in the veg drawer, so since we've got visitors today, I made a sweet/sour aubergine antipasto. Blanched the aubergine, added abundant fresh garlic, a few slivers of sweet chile, oil, white wine vinegar, peppercorns and oregano.
Antipasto de Berenjena agridulce.jpg

Then I thought, well one antipasto is not going to be enough, so recovered some cooked Borlotti beans from the back of the fridge, mixed them with red onion, olive oil, capers and tuna. Easy peasy!
Borlotti and tuna salad.jpg

While I was doing all this, I made some pesto and cooked some artichokes. Less to do today!

Cooking sauce at the moment and then having to decide if I make lasagna or fettuchini to go with it on my newly cleaned pasta roller :)
Dough is sitting in the fridge.
Options are still open :wink:

Bravo for making your own pasta. It's really worthwhile. I made some last weekend, for the first time in years, and the difference is amazing. Why don't I do it more often?
No idea!
Semolina adds a totally different flavour and texture, doesn't it? I started off making a little mountain on the kitchen counter, then putting the eggs in the middle and mixing. Ended up with gooey egg mixture all over the floor. Last week, I put the flour in a large bowl, made a hole in the middle and then mixed the eggs and flour with a fork until the dough was malleable. Only then did I put it on the counter and start kneading it.
Yes, the KA mixer and pasta attachments makes life much easier.

So yesterday I opened the fridge and saw abundance.
Abundance of loads of bits and pieces :hyper: :hyper:
First of all, I used up the butt end of a Chinese cabbage to make a wierd version of sauerkraut. The story goes that my son said he wanted hot dogs for dinner - I found some beautiful "Viennese" sausages, but no sauerkraut. Blanched the thinly sliced cabbage , added salt, caraway seeds and just a touch of white wine vinegar. That went just fine with the hot dogs.
View attachment 110006View attachment 110007
I pruned the oregano bush on Sunday and had a huge plastic bag full of the herb. Spent an edifying 30 minutes stripping the leaves from the stalks, and now I'm going to have to give loads of oregano away because I've got waaaaaaay too much!
View attachment 110008

Had two aubergines lurking in the veg drawer, so since we've got visitors today, I made a sweet/sour aubergine antipasto. Blanched the aubergine, added abundant fresh garlic, a few slivers of sweet chile, oil, white wine vinegar, peppercorns and oregano. View attachment 110009
Then I thought, well one antipasto is not going to be enough, so recovered some cooked Borlotti beans from the back of the fridge, mixed them with red onion, olive oil, capers and tuna. Easy peasy!
View attachment 110010
While I was doing all this, I made some pesto and cooked some artichokes. Less to do today!
I wish we were neighbors. I'd love some of that oregano...and of course we could share a few meals (like that one, LOL).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom