What did you cook or eat today (February 2024)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Baked “Asian” style chicken wings, sesame string beans (a bit over-cooked), jasmine rice was dinner last night.

asian_wings_021224_1_img_2388-jpg.jpg

Dinner club at the bealey hotel.
Everyone had awesome meals.
I couldn't go past the blue cod. Generous portions. Place was busy.
Driving past the joint you wouldn't give it a second thought??
Out back they have 100 rooms as a hotel. Our dinner club has been going 10 plus years and we are still finding new joints.

Russ

So yesterday I opened the fridge and saw abundance.
Abundance of loads of bits and pieces :hyper: :hyper:
First of all, I used up the butt end of a Chinese cabbage to make a wierd version of sauerkraut. The story goes that my son said he wanted hot dogs for dinner - I found some beautiful "Viennese" sausages, but no sauerkraut. Blanched the thinly sliced cabbage , added salt, caraway seeds and just a touch of white wine vinegar. That went just fine with the hot dogs.
View attachment 110006View attachment 110007
I pruned the oregano bush on Sunday and had a huge plastic bag full of the herb. Spent an edifying 30 minutes stripping the leaves from the stalks, and now I'm going to have to give loads of oregano away because I've got waaaaaaay too much!
View attachment 110008

Had two aubergines lurking in the veg drawer, so since we've got visitors today, I made a sweet/sour aubergine antipasto. Blanched the aubergine, added abundant fresh garlic, a few slivers of sweet chile, oil, white wine vinegar, peppercorns and oregano. View attachment 110009
Then I thought, well one antipasto is not going to be enough, so recovered some cooked Borlotti beans from the back of the fridge, mixed them with red onion, olive oil, capers and tuna. Easy peasy!
View attachment 110010
While I was doing all this, I made some pesto and cooked some artichokes. Less to do today!
Are those fried potato sticks?! Omg that's awesome. That's part of the CIA recipe. Secret weapon.

Are those fried potato sticks?!
Wasn't quite sure what you were referring to but then saw the hot dogs!!
Yep, we buy them ready done in the supermarket. Hot dogs are essential street food here and everyone loves a hotdog - at any time of the day. Just seen a video from a friend of mine. He stopped in a hotdog stand in a popular part of the city.The bloke has been making hotdogs for about 35 years. Sells between $7,000 - $10,000 per week.

Hubby wanted gigantic pikelets tonight with fruit. The recipe is almost the same as for the pancakes, just a liquid sugar rather than a solid sugar and more flour. Usually they'd be scone sized on diameter, but not tonight.

It always feels like the mixture is too thin, but as always it isn't.

20240214_182543.jpg
20240214_182613.jpg
20240214_183705.jpg

I've retired suitably well stuffed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom