Pasta sauce from home canned tomatoes?

Missie Leigh

Über Member
Local time
12:22 PM
I'm having trouble finding a pasta sauce recipe made from home canned whole tomatoes that isn't either too bitter or too sweet. Do any of you have one you'd like to share?

I'm having trouble finding a pasta sauce recipe made from home canned whole tomatoes that isn't either too bitter or too sweet. Do any of you have one you'd like to share?
I don't home can tomatoes - are they very different from the usual tinned tomatoes sold in the supermarket?

I don't home can tomatoes - are they very different from the usual tinned tomatoes sold in the supermarket?
You wouldn't think so. But I guess they don't have any preservatives in them. Just tomatoes and a little kosher salt. I'm determined to find the perfect recipe!

You wouldn't think so. But I guess they don't have any preservatives in them. Just tomatoes and a little kosher salt. I'm determined to find the perfect recipe!
Do you have a photo of your canned tomatoes? The one's I buy have no preservatives but they are Italian and very red with lots of red juice/pulp.

Well...I don't know what kind of pasta sauce you are wanting. But an easy one to do is Puttanesca. Its tomatoes, anchovies, black olives, capers and chillies. It packs a punch! There are many versions of this Italian delight.

A lot of it depends on the taste of your tomatoes on their own...you can balance bitter by adding sugars, and you can balance sweet by adding salt....I think if you simmer the sauce for a long period, it will concentrate and mellow out the flavors....basic for me is onion, garlic, herbs....simmer for a good 45 minutes to an hour, stirring every 5-10 minutes...taste as you go and add what you think is needed...

Tomato sauce is more versatile. You can do Puttanesca sauce as MorningGlory has suggested (very good) or a simple tomato sauce with a lot of basil fresh leaves ( cutted or whole - as you prefer), a pinch of salt and pepper and served with a sprinkle of grated parmesan cheese. Or tomato sauce with ricotta cheese.

I'd sort out the flavour of your canned tomatoes first. I buy supermarket ones that have no (or very little) salt or sugar in. I add them to slow-fried onions and garlic with a tablespoon of tomato puree and a bay leaf, bring to the boil and then let simmer for at least 15 minutes (if it's going to be cooked further as part of a dish) but usually longer, and sometimes a lot longer, if it's going to be used as a sauce. At the end of the cooking time I remove the bay leaf and stir in some whole or torn (but never cut) basil. It will keep 4 or 5 days in the fridge, or can be frozen.

Back
Top Bottom