Ingredients:

1 medium pineapple, skinned and cut into bite-sized pieces
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 tsps vegetable or coconut oil
1/2 tsp cumin seeds (optional)
1 tbsp black mustard seeds
A few curry leaves (optional)
1 tsp turmeric powder
100 gms (about a cupful) freshly grated coconut (or decimated coconut, if you really have to!)
2-3 fresh green chiles, minced
1/2 red onion
1 tsp sugar (optional) - only if the pineapple is a little bitter
1 tsp salt

Method:
  • Separate the coconut into two portions.
  • In a medium pan, heat the oil and stir fry the garlic for 1 minute.
  • Now add the cumin seeds, mustard seeds and curry leaves and stir until they begin to pop, about 30 seconds.
  • Add half the coconut and lower the heat to medium. Add the turmeric and salt. Cook the mixture for a few minutes until the coconut begins to brown.
  • Now add the pineapple, the green chiles and the onion. The pineapple will ooze liquid. Cook for about 10 minutes, until the dish is juicy and the ingredients are well-mixed together. Taste for sweetness and add sugar only if the pineapple is tart.
  • Serve as an accompaniment to chicken,pork or egg curries
    Indian Food Cuajimapla pineapple curry.jpg

... a few days late with comments. What I love about this is that its rather like a chutney/pickle and I can see it working really well with really spicy hot curry dishes.

I think this "curry" is very underrated and I was surprised how much heat it could take. When I made it in Mexico, I probably added half a dozen fresh green chiles (think, Thai or Chile de Arbol) and it was great. Mind you, I'm a chilehead, so I could have added double that.
What you probably need to do is add the chile bit by bit. Make the "curry" with the ingredients above, then taste, tast, taste, adding more hot stuff as you go along.

Back
Top Bottom