Poisonous foods we still love to eat!

cupcakechef

Veteran
Local time
5:46 PM
Japan (expat by way of Australia and USA)
I've often wondered about all the foods out there that are partially poisonous, but that we still eat.

The first two that came to mind for me were apples (because of the arsenic in the seeds, from memory!) and rhubarb, since the leaves are poisonous.

I think I read somewhere once that almonds can also be poisonous but I'd have to double check exactly how or why that is?

Can you think of any other foods that are poisonous (if not prepared correctly, or if a certain part is eaten!) that we still enjoy as a society?

Spuds!
I've had one or two going green, but I'm still here. Their sprouts are also dangerous to eat.

I might be better able to speak to poisonous I'd like to share:giggle:. Just kidding. I honestly have only heard of one or two around here and truth be told I am not that brave a girl as to want to try any.

Correct although ackee here at home is not the same thing as the Jamaican ackee that can be poisonous. It's actually a Jamaican living here who was giving me an education of all these things we supposedly have here that can be eaten but are also poisonous. Sadly I did not take notes and maybe it's because I play it very safe when it comes to food.

TBH though the poisonous bits are the bits you don't really want anyway - potatoes, do you want to eat green ones ? Rhubarb - mostly in the leaves, not the best looking bits. Apple pips - no not really tasty although I suspect you would need a lot of pips anyhow. I think almonds are the same as the pips but again you might need a LOT.

TBH though the poisonous bits are the bits you don't really want anyway - potatoes, do you want to eat green ones ? Rhubarb - mostly in the leaves, not the best looking bits. Apple pips - no not really tasty although I suspect you would need a lot of pips anyhow. I think almonds are the same as the pips but again you might need a LOT.

Yeah that's what I thought about the almonds - you would have to be ingesting some ridiculous quantity that honestly wouldn't likely be possible anyway!

Yeah that's what I thought about the almonds - you would have to be ingesting some ridiculous quantity that honestly wouldn't likely be possible anyway!
For bananas, if memory is correct, you'd only have to eat 6,500 a day.
Even then it'd take a few days. Once wouldn't be enough.

Radioactive bananas on that list, along with broccoli?

Well sugar, fat and salt...are all toxic along with red meat if you believe the experts..but I don't see myself giving up any of these anytime soon, but I suppose I could eat less of them...I think we can all make an attempt to eat healthier.

I could be wrong on this, but aren't tomato leaves poisonous to human as well? I love to eat cooked tomatoes bit hate eating raw ones. Raw tomatoes lack flavor to me and they are just kind of mushy.

Back
Top Bottom