Popular Foods That You Can’t Stand

You'll forgive me if I find it difficult to make the distinction.
Fair enough but the difference is huge
But it is a sound rule of thumb that all advertising claims should be treated with a healthy scepticism.
Also true - I do find it odd that I have never heard of anyone being prescribed a course of 'pro-biotics' by a doctor and often wonder [after seeing the adverts] how the human race managed to survive for several million years without such things.

I do find it odd that I have never heard of anyone being prescribed a course of 'pro-biotics' by a doctor and often wonder [after seeing the adverts] how the human race managed to survive for several million years without such things.

We might be getting a little off topic here, but our ancestors may have survived in terms of the survival of the species as a whole, but infant mortality was somewhat higher than it is today and general life expectancy wasn’t quite what we take for granted today.

Whatever, it’s clear that the acidic flavour of yoghurt comes from the bacteria in it. Far from being bad for you, yoghurt is a genuinely healthy thing to eat. Packaging it in a new way and claiming that a particular brand has exceptional benefits in that way was a great wheeze to get people to pay more for that version of a product that occupies what is essentially a flooded market. We’ve all seen ‘The Apprentice’. We know how this works.

There are many foods I can no longer eat because of allergies, intolerances, or interactions with medications (thank goodness), but out of the things I used to be able to eat and the things I still can eat, I cannot stand:

steak and kidney pie
winkles
jellied eels
pie, mash, and liquor
tripe and onions
avocados
crab sticks
sardines and pilchards
celery
runny eggs
oysters
soggy bread
bananas
and any foods and drinks that should be served hot but have gone cold

This list may be added to :laugh:

Last edited:
I had to really think about this one. There are very few foods that I dislike, and none of them would be considered popular.
However, then I remembered my disdain for coffee. It stretches back to my childhood when my brother, 16 years my elder, used to hold me down in the morning and breathe stinky morning breath in my face shortly after sipping his coffee. The smell of his halitosis, along with the coffee, really put me off of the brew ever since then.

But only for a regular cup o' joe.

Strangely enough, I've developed a liking for a really nice, hot, bitter, tiny cup of espresso after a large Italian meal to go along with a cloyingly sweet dessert. For some reason I like the contrast with the sweetness, and aren't reminded of the foul respiration of my brother.

celery
runny eggs

Why? That is the joyous part of the egg...

Yeah, the runny egg issue, it is a good case in point. I have to tell you that I am one of those that would even rather have a boiled egg slightly under done than have it hard boiled. (I’m talking boiled egg as a boiled egg, I’ll come to the issue of that egg I had on the salad I pictured the other night). But I do get an important point. For those that dislike a runny egg, commonly, it is as unpleasant to them as spam / luncheon meat – in deference to @sidevalve, let me say any reconstituted meat – is to me. Whereas, a hard egg – be it fried, poached or boiled – it isn’t that I don’t like it so much as that, like an over-cooked steak, I’m just filled with a sense of the pity that it is so much less than it could have been. The exception is on a salad. Of course, a boiled egg on a salad has to be well, shall we say, firm at least, but that egg on that salad I had the other night was cooked in the last moments before the salad was served and thus was still warm. The yolk might not have been runny but the egg as a whole was tender.

The other one I’ll pick up on in your list Elawin is celery. I know that some people just can’t get on with it. But there does sometimes seem to be a strange prejudice about it. There are a couple of recipes I do that have celery in them that when you mention the dish itself people seem receptive to it, until you mention the presence of celery and that is the thing that makes them unequivocally reject it. Yeah, I know, if you don’t like it you don’t like it. The presence of suet in anything is enough to make me reject it outright. But I confess to being surprised sometimes at the vehemence of some people’s dislike of celery.

There are many foods I can no longer eat because of allergies, intolerances, or interactions with medications (thank goodness), but out of the things I used to be able to eat and the things I still can eat, I cannot stand:

steak and kidney pie
winkles
jellied eels
pie, mash, and liquor
tripe and onions
avocados
crab sticks
sardines and pilchards
celery
runny eggs
oysters
soggy bread
bananas
and any foods and drinks that should be served hot but have gone cold

This list may be added to :laugh:
I guess you know that stress can trigger allergic reactions, i.e. it is more this emotional condition rather than the food directly in some cases....especially true of food intolerances.

This brings up an intersting point. My wife abhors cooked celery, but loves it raw in certain dishes. I am the same with carrots. I will choke down cooked carrots, for the most part, but much prefer them on the raw side.

This brings up an intersting point. My wife abhors cooked celery, but loves it raw in certain dishes. I am the same with carrots. I will choke down cooked carrots, for the most part, but much prefer them on the raw side.
That's unfortunate since you get more Vitamin A in cooked carrot (when the cell walls are broken)...ah well, you will just have to chomp on more carrots but it's in many foods, e.g. green leafy veg, dairy products etc.

I don't feel I can eat tripe or sweetbreads. Not that keen on mushrooms either once I remember what it is...a fungus although I do like the meaty, large Portobello ones.

Back
Top Bottom