Popular Foods That You Can’t Stand

Yeah, the runny egg issue, it is a good case in point. I have to tell you that I am one of those that would even rather have a boiled egg slightly under done than have it hard boiled. (I’m talking boiled egg as a boiled egg, I’ll come to the issue of that egg I had on the salad I pictured the other night). But I do get an important point. For those that dislike a runny egg, commonly, it is as unpleasant to them as spam / luncheon meat – in deference to @sidevalve, let me say any reconstituted meat – is to me. Whereas, a hard egg – be it fried, poached or boiled – it isn’t that I don’t like it so much as that, like an over-cooked steak, I’m just filled with a sense of the pity that it is so much less than it could have been. The exception is on a salad. Of course, a boiled egg on a salad has to be well, shall we say, firm at least, but that egg on that salad I had the other night was cooked in the last moments before the salad was served and thus was still warm. The yolk might not have been runny but the egg as a whole was tender.

The other one I’ll pick up on in your list Elawin is celery. I know that some people just can’t get on with it. But there does sometimes seem to be a strange prejudice about it. There are a couple of recipes I do that have celery in them that when you mention the dish itself people seem receptive to it, until you mention the presence of celery and that is the thing that makes them unequivocally reject it. Yeah, I know, if you don’t like it you don’t like it. The presence of suet in anything is enough to make me reject it outright. But I confess to being surprised sometimes at the vehemence of some people’s dislike of celery.
I don't mind eggs that are not hard boiled. I just don't like the yolks too soft and runny. Or, put it this way, if you cooked a 3 minute egg, then I'd cook mine for 4! I never did like the taste of raw celery anyway but over the years I've developed an allergy to it so I can't try it to see if my taste has changed.

I had boiled eggs for breakfast this morning - 4 minutes plus stand for a minute. The whites were solid and the yolks were just starting to thicken - Perfect!

Last edited:
I guess you know that stress can trigger allergic reactions, i.e. it is more this emotional condition rather than the food directly in some cases....especially true of food intolerances.
Yes I do but in my case this doesn't apply, although stress because of a nasty reaction can make me worse - waiting in A&E for instance when my throat is already closing up and my neck and face are going from pink to red. That's about the only time stress intolerance kicks in. My daughter is lactose- and pulses-intolerant, and one of my granddaughters is allergic to several things that I am not (and vice versa). Family gatherings can be quite interesting.

raw onion
celery
skinny fries
anything with vinagar on
thick and creamy yogurts ( I like the runny ones)
cockles and winkles
mint rock
bagals - I just don't get the appeal, they're so dry
kidneys
raw chillies
preserved cherries
brasil nuts
rice cakes
milky coffee
sweet tea

raw onion
celery
skinny fries
anything with vinagar on
thick and creamy yogurts ( I like the runny ones)
cockles and winkles
mint rock
kidneys
raw chillies
preserved cherries
brasil nuts
rice cakes
milky coffee
sweet tea
What is a mint rock? It doesn't even sound appealing.

What is a mint rock? It doesn't even sound appealing.

Sticks of hard candy sweets that you get at the seaside with writing all the way through with the name of the place. I actually woudn't really like it in other flavours either.
Something like this:

upload_2017-6-8_21-6-28.jpeg

...Also true - I do find it odd that I have never heard of anyone being prescribed a course of 'pro-biotics' by a doctor and often wonder [after seeing the adverts] how the human race managed to survive for several million years without such things.
Before the overwhelming amount of processed foods, people probably consumed those "new and trendy foods!!!". Yoghurts and other cultured dairy items were developed naturally instead of tossing unused milk. Sauerkraut and other pickled items also have good bacteria naturally. But with "low-fat" this and "sugar-free" that, we've managed to completely mess up our systems by trying to be healthy.:wink: Now the trend is to commercially manufacture all those natural occurring good gut bacteria and advertise the beejeebers out of it!

Raw or nearly raw proteins. Can't do runny eggs, sashimi, bloody red steak or hamburger with a cold/cool center.
Some hot/spicy foods. I like some heat, but not the crying eyes/flame-filled throat heat that seems to be so popular.
Most "specialty" or "variety" meats/seafood. No Squidworth, no "sweetbreads" - which are neither sweet NOR bread. However, clams, scallops, shrimp? Bring those on! And I just don't get the love for lobster. Overpriced and underwhelming to me.
Although I like avocados, I don't like other creamy textured fruits such as mango or papaya. Also not a fan of their flavor.

Most everything else is fine. Actually, I'm not anywhere near as picky as the above list makes me look...which pretty much explains my, um, Rubens-esque figure. :whistling:

Just think of it this way: a bagel is merely a vehicle for another, more desirable food. It's a sturdy platform for cream cheese/crème fraîche/mascarpone topped with jam, or cream cheese and lox, or dripping with fresh butter...

As far as avocados goes, you guys either haven't had good ones, or prepared in the right way.
I'm with you on that one. The avocados here in Australia are so much nicer than the pathetic samples available in the UK.

Right my list of dislikes... (as opposed to allergies...)
all meat or meat products
all fish or fish products
anything of that ilk....
pretty much everything that is 'heat in the microwave and serve'
pretty much anything that is 'pour water into and stand'
Bulgar wheat
fake 'meat'/meat replacements (same applies to the concept of fish)
tomato sauce
any tinned soup
most tinned produce
bananas. Can't stand them
chia seeds - don't get them
pawpaw - just don't take me there
figs - fig rolls - just what are they about?

I don't do low-fat or sugar-free either. I'm not a fan of sweetened stuff as opposed to naturally sweet stuff (I've just scoffed a bowl of strawberries :laugh:), but I do like the odd slice of cake made with proper sugar, not the refined or synthetic stuff.

Raw or nearly raw proteins. Can't do runny eggs, sashimi, bloody red steak or hamburger with a cold/cool center.

Me neither, can't eat fish or shellfish, and not keen on avocados. We used to know a Vietnamese bloke many years ago who used to eat nearly raw chicken :sick:

As for bagels, I think they are disgusting whatever they've got in them :)

Back
Top Bottom