Pork Sausage Rolls - Advice Please

The sausage was not cooked enough for me and the pastry would have burnt if I'd have cooked it longer. That was 5 minutes at 200 degC and 10 minutes at 180 degC. Halogen oven, lower rack. I think my next experiment will be to stir fry the pork mixture for a few minutes before forming the roll.
I wonder if its because you're using a halogen oven? Where is the heat source? In a normal oven (heat from the sides) I wouldn't expect puff pastry to burn in 15 minutes. I cooked a sausage plait at the weekend and even after 30 mins at 180C the pastry was only just light golden.
Do you have a photo of it before it was broken up?

No I don't, sorry. The halogen cooks very fast. Maybe next time reduce to 150 degC for 20 minutes or so and then boost it later to brown the pastry?

I wonder if its because you're using a halogen oven? Where is the heat source? In a normal oven (heat from the sides) I wouldn't expect puff pastry to burn in 15 minutes. I cooked a sausage plait at the weekend and even after 30 mins at 180C the pastry was only just light golden.

The heat source is at the top of the halogen. Maybe you should try cooking at lower temp. on bottom rack @Yorky?

I don't have any direct experience of halogen ovens but I found a few discussions/tips online and it seems as well as cooking quicker, things should be cooked at a lower temperature too. I found these rules:
  • For cake recipes, lower the temperature by 10 degrees Celsius.
  • For all other recipes, you will usually need to lower the temperature of uncovered dishes 20 to 40 degrees Celsius in your halogen oven
A couple of halogen oven recipes that might help:
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/learn4free/sausage-rolls-in-halogen-oven-t2895.html
http://www.myhalogenoven.co.uk/beef-wellington-in-a-halogen-oven-recipe/

I use an oven, was discussing with mg earlier, 1 pack beef sausage meat one onion diced, some parsley squirt tomato sauce and Worcester. I mix by hand to get uniform mix. Then wrap in pastry. Cook about 20 mins at 180. Coat top before cooking with egg wash.
Pics next time I make some.simple and really tasty. Not burnt and cooked through.

Russ

I have today popped some more sausage meat (plain) in the freezer for later.

However, I have today also bought some shiitake mushrooms to make duxelles. Beef Wellington is the plan for Wednesday (I won't have time tomorrow) but I don't have ham left so I'll either use bacon or exclude it.

I'm thinking of only blowlamp searing the beef fillet without frying. Then coat it in mustard and wrap it up in the bacon (if I use it) and mushroom duxelles. Then wrap it in egg brushed pastry and roast until done (in the halogen).

Back
Top Bottom