Recipe Potato, Marrow and Pepper Stew with Dried Limes

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
1:55 AM
Potato, Marrow and Pepper Stew with Dried Limes
Dried limes can be found in Asian shops in the UK in the spice section. They are also used in middle eastern cooking (particularly in Iranian cooking) and you can buy them on-line. I’ve sometimes use them ground (use a spice grinder), but here they are cooked whole - they are the round black things in the photo. They release a sour taste as they soften whilst cooking which is balanced here by the addition of a little sugar. Serve as a side with grilled meat or fish or add a tin of chickpeas for a complete meal. (Serves 4)

IMGP1409.jpg

Photographed today in daylight

Ingredients
1 medium onion
Oil for frying
2 medium waxy potatoes (I used Yukon Gold)
1/2 medium vegetable marrow
2 red peppers
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 heaped tsp ground turmeric (or 2 heaped tsp grated fresh turmeric)
1 heaped tbsp grated ginger
3 dried limes
1/2 can of chopped tomatoes
2 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar (any type)

Method
  • Thinly slice the onion and cook gently in the oil a large pan, mixing in the turmeric, tomato puree and ginger. Allow to cook for five minutes adding a little water if the mixture dries out.
  • Peel the bumpy white stripes from the skin of the marrow to create a stripy effect. De-seed and chop into chunky pieces.
  • Peel the potatoes and cut into approximately 1 inch chunks.
  • Add the marrow, potato and limes to the pan and cover with just enough water to cover. Add the salt and leave to simmer until the potatoes are cooked. Part way through, sqaush the limes slightly to release their flavour.
  • While the dish is cooking, de-seed the pepper, flatten (as best you can) and grill (broil) skin-side up until the skin is charred. Allow to cool and peel off the skin, leaving a few charred bits.Cut into large pieces.
  • When the potatoes are cooked the liquid should have reduced considerably. If not turn it the heat and let it reduce.
  • Add the tinned tomatoes, peppers and sugar and heat through. Taste the sauce and add more sugar and/or salt if required.
IMGP1410.jpg

IMGP1411.jpg

Dried Limes have now gone into the black board so I can make this. We used to have them in my store cupboard in the UK, but not here yet. I'm guessing it would have equally as well with courgettes of which I have some.

Dried Limes have now gone into the black board so I can make this. We used to have them in my store cupboard in the UK, but not here yet. I'm guessing it would have equally as well with courgettes of which I have some.
I'm sure courgettes would be OK but personally I don't like them as much as marrow (for which I have a particular fondness). I find the tight flesh doesn't soak up flavour so well and I also find they have a rather grassy taste - as opposed to marrow which has a delicate taste IMHO.

It's more what is available here. We haven't seen marrow at all but I will be growing some. We haven't seen white cabbage, but have seen plenty of nero cabbage leaves, plenty of savoy cabbage (which I can't have - have a much better effect that any laxative around :whistling:). It is weird, somethings are just not around and others I look at and have no idea what they are! Still we are here to learn about new cultures and that is what we are doing. Hopefully next month I will be well enough to visit the local beg & produce market held once a month! It was last weekend and I was going nowhere last weekend and am going nowhere this weekend either and probably the one after that too...

Back
Top Bottom