Prep/cooking question

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
7:27 PM
The latest in my series of “Who Thinks of That?” questions:

Let’s say you’re making, oh…idk…, French onion soup, and you’ve topped, tailed, and peeled your onions using a paring knife, and sliced with a mandoline.

It’s now time to start caramelizing the onions, which means a couple of tablespoons of butter in the pan.

Do you stick that same knife, onion juice and all, into your butter, or do you rinse/wipe it first, or get a fresh new knife?

I see this all the time where what I’d call dirty knives, spoons, etc are used, without cleaning, for multiple things. Of course, it makes sense if whatever you’re dipping into will end up, in its entirety, in the recipe, but this usually isn’t the case. I also know cooking shows are 85% fantasy and 15% fact, though watching Jacques Pepin cooking at home, I have no doubt he cross-flavors/contaminates everything and is essentially immune to any food-borne illness. :laugh:

What do you all do?

I use a fresh knife. The reason is simple: my wife retches violently if she tastes raw onion, so it's a new knife every time.
Additionally, the REST of the butter will smell of raw onion, which is not very inviting if you're going to butter some scones. :laugh:
In my kitchen, the sink is right next to the prep area, so the "used"knives/forks/spoons go straight into the sink. Only takes a minute to wash them.

You whaa?
A couple?
Who are you and what have you done with Tasty?
Then I made croutons for the soup:

IMG_7600.jpeg

:eek:

Fresh
Fresh spoons for condiments as well.
Unless I am going to use the whole lot.

Though I have to admit to using an onion/garlic knife to slice pieces of bacon. But only if I got to make lots of cuts (and it becomes a bacon cleaned knife)

Fresh
Fresh spoons for condiments as well.
Unless I am going to use the whole lot.
Though I have to admit to using an onion/garlic knife to slice pieces of bacon. But only if I got to make lots of cuts (and it becomes a bacon cleaned knife)
Yeah agred. If the knife or other utensil is going to be used for the last of an ingredient why bother?

Often I'll chop my veggies first and put them in a bowl (or a few bowls depending) before cutting meat so I don't have to clean my knives and chopping board//mat twice.

Ditto. My sink is full of tasting spoons when I'm done cooking as well. I know people who taste food with the stirring spoon and keep using the same one without washing it. Ew.

I use one spoon for tasting. I drip some sauce off the stirring spoon onto that spoon so it never goes in the pot.

The latest in my series of “Who Thinks of That?” questions:

Let’s say you’re making, oh…idk…, French onion soup, and you’ve topped, tailed, and peeled your onions using a paring knife, and sliced with a mandoline.

It’s now time to start caramelizing the onions, which means a couple of tablespoons of butter in the pan.

Do you stick that same knife, onion juice and all, into your butter, or do you rinse/wipe it first, or get a fresh new knife?

I see this all the time where what I’d call dirty knives, spoons, etc are used, without cleaning, for multiple things. Of course, it makes sense if whatever you’re dipping into will end up, in its entirety, in the recipe, but this usually isn’t the case. I also know cooking shows are 85% fantasy and 15% fact, though watching Jacques Pepin cooking at home, I have no doubt he cross-flavors/contaminates everything and is essentially immune to any food-borne illness. :laugh:

What do you all do?

I usually get a fresh knife or spoon or whatever in this instance, or give that knife a quick rinse.

Back
Top Bottom