Preparing for Christmas

Tonight’s cheeses:

IMG_7034.jpeg

The mustard one was fine, the truffle one I spat out into the trash bin.

The super minimal no effort two minute tree is up. That’s it for all the decorating here! Took five minutes because I had to add the lights but they can stay on permanently and next time it really will only take two minutes!

I think the fairy is going to have to enjoy this year, she won‘t be returning because..
IMG_1964.jpeg

she has a pretty face but reminds me of one of those hideous toilet roll doll covers from the 70’s 😆

Oh I really shouldn‘t have typed that into Google images, first page I’ve found her sister 😂

IMG_1966.jpeg

Received our first, and probably only, Christmas Greeting Card.
Xmas cards disappeared from the market about 10-15 years ago over here. No-one sends Xmas cards any more.Part of the problem, however, might be that the local postal service is about as efficient as a bicycle with no back wheel. We used to get Xmas cards delivered in April.

Xmas cards disappeared from the market about 10-15 years ago over here. No-one sends Xmas cards any more.Part of the problem, however, might be that the local postal service is about as efficient as a bicycle with no back wheel. We used to get Xmas cards delivered in April.

Not many people send cards these days. We still do but nowhere near as many as we used to, maybe due to social media and the options of sending ecards and some see them as a waste of money. I still like to receive them.

We finally got round to putting the tree up:
View attachment 107923
Now comes the part I hate. Buying Xmas presents for my wife. This usually involves my spending 10 hours a day feverishly combing every single shopping mall in Caracas, trying hopelessly to find something that (a) catches my eye (b) might possibly be something she likes and (c) costs less than $6,000.
She doesn't read, so the easy option is out. She's got a new I phone. Any clothes I've ever bought her are either too big, too small, wrong colour, wrong style, wrong material, wrong brand, out of date, too avant-garde, etc. She's got 4,000 pairs of shoes and 10,000 handbags, but I can only buy more if they're made by Gucci, Versace, Balenciaga, Dolce & Gabbana, etc. Then of course, she won't like the colour.
This is definitely the most stressful time of the year for me, roaming around malls (that I only go to when I need something specific) and wasting entire days looking through windows.

My strategy is usually successful (minus this year):

I have a running list on my phone of gift ideas. Starting in January, it’ll be blank.

All year long, I listen for when she says things like, “Oh, this would be good to have,” or “I could really use one of these, but that’s too expensive.” - we’ve been married long enough that I can tell when she’s just mindlessly thinking out loud versus seriously wishing she had something.

It goes on the list. Little things, big things, cheap, expensive, it all goes on the list.

Around about September, I start looking online, thinking about what shops might have this or that locally, and then, between Labor Day and Halloween, I do the majority of my shopping for her.

This year, I must’ve failed to pay attention, because I have very little on her list and I’m stuck. I have the same issue buying her clothes, as far as fit goes, especially right now, as I don’t think she’s finished losing weight, and she has no particular fondness of jewelry (thank god!) and I refuse to give her a gift card, as I see that as a real failure to know your partner, though this year, she might get a small one for some clothes that she can go and pick out.

People think we are strange because we do not buy each other presents, neither of us want nor need anything so we don't bother. Instead we spend our cash on going out and having fun during the year, we are lucky that we have good venues for comedy and gigs, great places to eat etc...

Back
Top Bottom