Preparing for Christmas

Like mine?
View attachment 108133
Wally World I think ...

Do you remember those Christmas tree lights that were a flood light with a rotating disk with four colors on it? They were popular on 1960s tensel trees.

1702859213309.png

CD

Rang butcher and reminded him I'm waiting on pickled pork still. 4 th time
We are getting Turkey roll roast this arvo. Last veges on Saturday.
I'm pretty much ready.

Russ

I can pretty much guarantee that your collection of Swarovski glass is way smaller than my sister's. She loves that stuff. That's how I knew right away when I saw your post that it was a Swarovski ornament.

CD
I haven’t counted, but we have around 30.

This is the time we get all the upper-upper-upper management holiday/year-end email blasts to all employees.

They always follow the same format:

1. I’ve never been more proud of you during this challenging year.

😃

2. Now’s the time to relax, take a breath, and remember the most important thing - your loved ones.

😊

3. Enjoy it while you can, because on 2 Jan, it’s back to work for you, and in 2024, I expect even more out of you!

😕

I still haven't wrapped our "gifts" to one another.
Here's how it has hone for many a year:
I go out and buy things for the two of us
I wrap them
I put them in the tree & in stockings
They're mostly small trinkets/toys/candies - fun stuff
DH takes the credit, "WOW! See what I got you?"
laughs and giggles9.jpg

One of my colleagues buys her own presents, wraps them, then gives them to her husband with the gift tags to fill in and attach, he is responsible for buying her a few bits ie..chocolates. Not Sure how I feel about that to be honest.

Last edited:
One of my colleagues buys her own presents, wraps them, then gives them to her husband with the gift tags to fill in and attach, he is responsible for buying her a few bits ie..chocolates. Not Sure how I feel about that to be honest.
I tried it once as I was fed up with money being wasted on things I despise like cheap shower gel in a cavernous cardboard box, it's a cold hollow feeling. So now I have a list of things I need or want and tell them to choose something from that. That allows for an element of surprise and they have to actually do the work (ie buy and wrap it).

Although this year I already know I have some fabulous expanding motorcycle bags coming my way 👍

Not Sure how I feel about that to be honest.
I suppose for those who celebrate Christmas, they do what works for them, but that would raise my eyebrow a little.

My wife’s family, they exchange lists of what they want, and then everyone buys off the lists. When we had our first Christmas together (keep in mind, I come from a family that doesn’t celebrate Christmas), I was surprised by that, because it seemed like cheating to me.

After that, I told MrsT to not give me a list and to not expect one from me (though I did provide one to her parents because you’ve got to respect the elders), that gift-giving, you need to know the recipient and pick something out for them.

That’s why, when we were all exchanging gifts over the years (we no longer do…too many people to buy for these days), I became something of a family legend, and when we’d moved to drawing names of people to buy for, everyone wanted me to pick their name, because they knew it would be a good gift, tailored to them, and a surprise.

This year, though, I really came up short for MrsT. It’s been a year of distractions, to say the least.

I tried it once as I was fed up with money being wasted on things I despise like cheap shower gel in a cavernous cardboard box, it's a cold hollow feeling. So now I have a list of things I need or want and tell them to choose something from that. That allows for an element of surprise and they have to actually do the work (ie buy and wrap it).

Although this year I already know I have some fabulous expanding motorcycle bags coming my way 👍
I suppose for those who celebrate Christmas, they do what works for them, but that would raise my eyebrow a little.

My wife’s family, they exchange lists of what they want, and then everyone buys off the lists. When we had our first Christmas together (keep in mind, I come from a family that doesn’t celebrate Christmas), I was surprised by that, because it seemed like cheating to me.

After that, I told MrsT to not give me a list and to not expect one from me (though I did provide one to her parents because you’ve got to respect the elders), that gift-giving, you need to know the recipient and pick something out for them.

That’s why, when we were all exchanging gifts over the years (we no longer do…too many people to buy for these days), I became something of a family legend, and when we’d moved to drawing names of people to buy for, everyone wanted me to pick their name, because they knew it would be a good gift, tailored to them, and a surprise.

This year, though, I really came up short for MrsT. It’s been a year of distractions, to say the least.

Every year we give bottles of wine to TVC's family and they give us bottles of wine. As we no longer drink, this year instead of the 'bottle swap' we informed them that we have donated to our local food bank and if anyone else would like to do the same, that is fine by us. Our philosophy is 'Neither of us want or need anything' so do not waste money, spend it on your kids.

I think that’s lovely if you’re into that sort of thing but personally I’d rather spend the money on something I know the other person really wants.
Preferably something they wouldn’t buy for themselves because they see it as an extravagance.

When Mr SSOAP was in charge of gift buying it was expensive jewellery and underwear every year, which is nice but I prefer motorcycle parts and don’t rate jewellery.

Back
Top Bottom