Quesadillas

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
5:51 PM
My wife called in at the supermarket today to pick up some flour tortillas. Unfortunately they had sold out of 200 mm diameter and only had 300 mm diameter left. She bought the 300 mm diameter.

My question is: my largest pan is only 250 mm diameter so should I cut the flour tortillas in quarters to make quesadillas?

I don't see why not. But use less filling and serve the salsa on the side.

Make a compass tool with a chopstick and knife and cut it down to size.

I say you shouldn't worry about the size because it's best to put the quesadilla in the skillet folded over anyway. After putting your ingredients in the center of the quesadilla, fold up the top and bottom parts of the shell then roll over the shell all the way before putting the dish into the skillet. I turn up the fire slightly less than medium high then fry my dish for three minutes on both sides.

I say you shouldn't worry about the size because it's best to put the quesadilla in the skillet folded over anyway. After putting your ingredients in the center of the quesadilla, fold up the top and bottom parts of the shell then roll over the shell all the way before putting the dish into the skillet. I turn up the fire slightly less than medium high then fry my dish for three minutes on both sides.
Huh?
A quesadilla is 2 tortillas with a filling in between. I have never seen a folded quesadilla in any real Mexican restaurant. That folded one is only at one big chain. Or at least not down here where we are 45% mexicans.
Though if you do have a recipe for a folded one I would love to see it.

And that is the first time I have ever heard a flour tortilla referred to as a shell. You also confused me with fry.

Please post recipe.

I have since realised that we had a 15" wok hidden away (as well as you could hide something that big). I'll give it a try and if that fails, cut the flour tortillas prior to cooking.

[I rarely worry about authenticity - I worry about whether I'll like them or not]

I have since realised that we had a 15" wok hidden away (as well as you could hide something that big). I'll give it a try and if that fails, cut the flour tortillas prior to cooking.

[I rarely worry about authenticity - I worry about whether I'll like them or not]

Quite right. We are talking 'street food style' here in any case, aren't we? - not haute-cuisine!

OTOH, I'm sure us Brits could have a good barney over the correct way to make a chip butty.

Guys - you could argue about the authentic recipe if you wish. I expect that it varies across different cultures. I found this, for example:

http://mexicanfoodjournal.com/quesadillas-and-sincronizadas/

It seems to be saying that quesadilles are folded over and Sincronadas are stacked?
Well now, I will give you a maybe. But if you go into any Texas Mexican restaurant and order quesadilla, you will get tortilla, filling, then another tortilla.
Now in other places, it may be different.
And I have never in my life seen that other word on a menu.
So do not say that a quesadilla has to be folded because you found one reference that said that.
I could find 10 that would contradict the one.

Ok. Found the difference and even he admits it. He is doing central and Baja Mexican food.
Out here we get Chihuahua and Sonora Mexican food. And even it varies by region of Texas.

His whatever he calls it, looked fabulous. We would call that a quesadilla.

Quite right. We are talking 'street food style' here in any case, aren't we? - not haute-cuisine!

OTOH, I'm sure us Brits could have a good barney over the correct way to make a chip butty.
Depends on the restaurant on the haute-cuisine. :wink:

I've got Cin"s back here: even from the most ignint nawthun sunnamabitch, a quesadilla is usually meat and cheese, but other fillin's work as well (plus maybe extras) between two flat, round tortillas.

Crickey, even in Staffordshire we accept that oatcakes can be rolled, folded or stacked and come with a variety of fillings despite the traditional version being stacked with cheese and bacon. Mind you over the border in Derbyshire, the actual oatcakes are make with milk instead of just water which is sacrilege... However, if you walk around the corner to the next oatcake shop, you will find they only come rolled or folded and the standard filling is cheese and onion...

Do you see what I'm getting at? Perhaps it varies depending on where in Mexico you are? I wonder because using Australia Google and the search terms I used, didn't yield a single stacked tortilla, all of them were rolled (heaven's forbid) or folded. I wonder if other filling are acceptable then why is it not acceptable to fold a tortilla?

Mine are just salsa (home made) and Cheddar cheese between two flour tortillas (bought). They are good enough for me (but I'm not Mexican).

Mine are just salsa (home made) and Cheddar cheese between two flour tortillas (bought). They are good enough for me (but I'm not Mexican).
And you are the only person I know that puts salsa in the tortillas. You might try adding some cooked meat to them. Chicken is common.
Yours always do look fabulous.

Back
Top Bottom